Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Hi all. Basically I want to make a YouTube video with music in it. I know that YouTube will remove your video and give you a copyright strike if you upload a video with music in it. I also know that there are ways around this. What are the ways?
Google wasn't of too much help and I don't really want to go about trial and error since I don't want my account to be deleted. Thanks for any help ;)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
There aren't any ways. If they see you using protected content, they take it down.

Regardless what you say in the description box, the bottom line is if it's someone else's content, they can take it down.

Now some content creators are absolute villains about it (like NBC). Others are more relaxed and that's why you see whole movies up there. They're grade Z movies, but they're allowed to stay.

:)

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
There aren't any ways. If they see you using protected content, they take it down.

Regardless what you say in the description box, the bottom line is if it's someone else's content, they can take it down.

Now some content creators are absolute villains about it (like NBC). Others are more relaxed and that's why you see whole movies up there. They're grade Z movies, but they're allowed to stay.

:)

Is there a way to match it? I see some people have the "purchase on" option for the song in the description...

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Is there a way to match it? I see some people have the "purchase on" option for the song in the description...

Here's the Google FAQ that explains how Content ID works, the system that identifies copyright content and allows content owners to manage Content ID claims.

Copyright owners can choose different actions to take on material that matches theirs: (1) Mute audio that matches their music (2) Block a whole video from being viewed (3) Monetize the video by running ads against it or (4) Track the video’s viewership statistics.

_Some_ content management firms will allow YouTube users to make use of songs/copyright works, etc. _if_ the user agrees to provide a link to purchase the song/work, but typically you'd need to contact the firm directly _before_ posting the video and enter an agreement to do exactly what they require, etc.

You basically have to track down who controls the copyright management rights of a given song/work and contact them directly.

Some firms are willing to work things out even if you've already posted their copyrighted song @ Youtube -- here's an example of how a management firm called The Orchard says they handles their copyright claims on YouTube. But of course, other firms may NOT react in the same way about such things... YMMV.

Last edited:

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Besides purchasing a synch license, YouTube offers a music exchange feature that lets you swap out your non-licensed content for free to use content.

You can also create your own music, which would get you around all of that.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Hi all. Basically I want to make a YouTube video with music in it. I know that YouTube will remove your video and give you a copyright strike if you upload a video with music in it. I also know that there are ways around this. What are the ways?
Google wasn't of too much help and I don't really want to go about trial and error since I don't want my account to be deleted. Thanks for any help ;)

The only way is to use copyright-free music or compose your own.

Or pay to use the copyrighted music.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
imo, good topic.

my question is this. you see a lot! of unofficial music videos from fairly "known" singers, bands etc.

how do they do that?

Also, how are people able to do "lyric" videos without them being taken down?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.