Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koufax80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
So I went yesterday to try and upgrade an iPhone 5 on my AT&T family plan, which has 8 lines, and discovered I can only have 4 lines on the NEXT program at a time, meaning, even though the line was eligible for an upgrade, I could not take advantage of the next program. Yes, I could have upgraded the standard way by paying the cost of the phone and upgrade fee, however, I would lose the $25 per month discount for the line since it's on the "Mobil Share Value Plan" or whatever they call it. Rep at the AT&T store said they are going to be removing the 4 line limit and allow all lines to use the next plan shortly... has anyone else run into this or heard this?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I read they were going to up it to ten, but it has been suspended. I don't know the date or why they suspended it though.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Online states there is a 4 line limit for standard acxount and 10 line limit for business. I can only imagine the limit is set because with ten lines you can essentially have ATT giving you the equivalent of an interest free used car loan lol.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Yeah right now it's a 4 line limit on the Next plan. AT&T will be increasing it to 10 sometime down the line. Actually ran into this issue with a customer who came into my store (best buy) a month or so ago.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I can only imagine the limit is set because with ten lines you can essentially have ATT giving you the equivalent of an interest free used car loan lol.

This. And that's what I don't understand when people mention words of AT&T Next is a ripoff. i have a family line with 3 on the Next Plan, I don't have a problem with it. Along with the fact I got on the 20 for 10 double data deal that was given for a limited amount of time. I definitely plan on paying the 3 phones off before the time that was given, only gripe I have is I wish that AT&T would offer a chance of paying more toward the balance of the phone instead of paying the full amount to pay it off.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I'd make a call to AT&T's retentions department and very, very politely explain your dilemma. As long as you are current on your bill, I don't think it would be a big deal for them to make an exception for one more line.

My understanding is that the stores have zero authority to grant exceptions to policy.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This. And that's what I don't understand when people mention words of AT&T Next is a ripoff. i have a family line with 3 on the Next Plan, I don't have a problem with it. Along with the fact I got on the 20 for 10 double data deal that was given for a limited amount of time. I definitely plan on paying the 3 phones off before the time that was given, only gripe I have is I wish that AT&T would offer a chance of paying more toward the balance of the phone instead of paying the full amount to pay it off.

There are a couple groups of people (that I've found) that think next is a ripoff:

1. Those that doesn't want to return the device, calling it a lease.
- well, you don't have to. Returning tbis 100% choice. That said, we just returned one because the difference between buying out and selling to someone privately and returning it was $70. I decided that wasn't worth my effort.

2. Those that would "rather pay $200 to buy a phone on contract".
- some older contract lines do come out cheaper. Many don't sit down and crunch numbers to see what the "total two year cost" of the device would be. And even many of those that do seem like they need to brush up their math skills a bit.

3. They're not looking into deals
- there's always a promotion going somewhere, much like with on contract phones. Often times the $200 on contract phone is $150 or less. While a retailer doesn't have the power to discount a next device, they do have the power to bundle your ourchase with gift cards and various other products. Some will even let you put the value of said gift card towards any applicable taxes on the spot.

4. I had another but it's slipped my mind lol.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I don't think it's the Next itself, but the new mobile share plans that these are connected to are big rip offs. Both on AT&T and Verizon. Compared to plans like on Cricket or T-Mobile, it's way more just for the plan. It's nice that they allow you to finance phones interest-free on top of it, but geez oww.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.