Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rammer549

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
In keychain access>edit>edit login keychain settings, there is an option to lock the login keychain when sleeping or idle for x-minutes. For security reasons should this be setup to lock the keychain when sleeping? I have tried it and keep getting all kinds of prompts to unlock my keychain after waking from sleep even though it is already unlocked. It seems to really mess up the system somehow...mainly icloud and imessages.

Thank you for the feedback.:)

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
It's all up to you. If you're paranoid, as I am, then set it to lock after a specified period. If not, then don't. It's not a requirement. People who find themselves bothered by the prompts that tighter security requires are better off not bothering.

rammer549

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
It's all up to you. If you're paranoid, as I am, then set it to lock after a specified period. If not, then don't. It's not a requirement. People who find themselves bothered by the prompts that tighter security requires are better off not bothering.

I've set it to lock when sleeping...but after waking and logging in it keeps prompting for keychain password, even though the keychain is already unlocked? What is going on with this?

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
I've set it to lock when sleeping...but after waking and logging in it keeps prompting for keychain password, even though the keychain is already unlocked? What is going on with this?

Anything that uses the keychain for various reasons will have to re-authorize access after sleep. The initial unlock only applies to the machine/display. Apple has changed things a bit with newer versions of OS X, such that if you ever lock the keychain, there will be more prompts for access from different processes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.