Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aurora_belle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2005
So what happens when your iPod battery is drained completely and won't recharge anymore? New battery, right? But why is that so hard to find?

I guess I should have known better- I left my iPod mini on my Bose stereo dock a few nights so I could use the alarm clock feature to wake me up with tunes. After a few nights, I took my iPod to work and found that even though it was fully charged that morning, it was drained completely by 11am.

I was told that because I have had my iPod over 1 year and didn't buy the extended warrantee, that Mac won't replace my battery (even if I am willing to pay) and that I'll have to find some other outfit to do it- is this true? What other outfits are there that would do this for me?

Any help is much appreciated, I miss my iPod! :(

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
do a search for 3rd party mini ipod batteries. You are going to have to crack it open (and if you don't know what you're doing, damage the casing in the process) but they should include instructions with the battery, as well as the proper tools.

the bose sound dock didn't drain your mini, the ipod mini batteries are NOTORIOUS for dying, I used to work at Apple and this was the most common technical issue (dead ipod MINI batteries), not regular ipods, but the mini specifically.

even if it is out of warranty you should still have a few options:

1) Replace the failed unit (typically $59, the same as Apple Care) ala Apple's Class Action Lawsuit.

2) Raise all hell with the manager, they will bend.

3) Recycle your iPod (10% off a new ipod i.e. $20-30): this option sucks, but if your ipod is not functioning at all and you fear using eBay or another medium to sell it to someone who is comfortable fixing it, it's your last option.

good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.