Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
What app do you suggest to use for editing video for the iPad? Unless I'm wrong iMovie only edits wide aspect ratio movies. The iPad screen is 4:3. Suggestions?

I'm creating screen capture movies for embedding in a book with iBooks Author so the actual aspect ratio may be almost anything. The resolution may go as high as 2048 x 1536. Quicktime used to be good at this. The new version of Quicktime is OK for simple trimming, not much more.

I'm not looking for anything complicated. These videos run from 30s to 10 minutes. Some titles, overlaying an arrow or circle would be nice. Overlaying a photo or small video would be helpful.

If you can point me to a site that discusses prepping videos for iPads that would be fantastic.

Currently I create videos with SnapZ Pro X and then trim them with QT. This is OK but I'm ready to step it up a notch.

Thanks.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Camtasia 2 can do everything you are looking for. You can set your aspect ratio for just about any device before you record or customize it, this way when you export the video, it is the correct aspect ratio for the intended device. Has a nice set of annotations included for overlaying circles, arrows, boxes and many more. Can import media for overlaying of videos.

Been using Camtasia for about a year and have really liked this piece of software. They offer a free trial, which will allow you to give it a run before buying.

There is also ScreenFlow which is a little cheaper than Camtasia. The big difference between the two is Camtasia 2 has better graphics to work with, whereas ScreenFlow has better video & audio filters. ScreenFlow offers a free trial as well. Either will work well for you. Have used ScreenFlow as well and it is a good piece of software.

Have a look at them and maybe "kick the tires with the free trials". Good chance one or the other is what you are looking for. Save yourself some time by doing it all in one app.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Thanks.

According to the Macworld review Screeflow only captures full screen videos, not selected areas. Camtasia looks very interesting, but is a bit pricey.

For my purposes I've decided to go with Quicktime. I still have a QT Pro license key so I downloaded QT 7 from Apple's website. This will be good enough for the occasional videos I need to prepare. QT is very versatile in handling videos of any resolution. It can also handle up to 99 tracks so there is a lot of capacity for picuture-in-picture, masking and annotation. I wonder why Apple gave up on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.