Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Safari desert
i live in hong kong, which is supposinly within the region 3. but all the dvds here (including those from my skool library) are mostly mixed with region 1 & region 3 DVDs... :(

i only hv 2 chances left b4 my combo drive got locked down.. i really want to make my iBook G4 a region free or at least can play both region 1 & region 3 DVDs.. its really a hassle.. :confused: :confused:

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Safari desert
aznspyder said:
Just use VLC Media Player. It plays pretty much every video format out there (except WMV), and also does DVD. It ignores all region codes on DVDs, so you can play movies from all over the world. Download it here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Have fun!

it doesnt work. it can recognize theres a dvd but wont play unless i change the region code :eek:

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
lOUDsCREAMEr said:
it doesnt work. it can recognize theres a dvd but wont play unless i change the region code :eek:
Newer DVD drives have the firmware locked to a particular region. You'll need an RPC-1 firmware to unlock your drive.

VLC worked fine on older drives that didn't implement the region locking in the firmware.

aznspyder

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2005
California and Bangkok
Really? I believe we have the same iBook model, but using VLC works for me. I watched movies from a couple of different regions before and it worked just fine. Hmm... I wonder why?

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Safari desert
120756171_1adeb380c4_o.jpg

different firmware?? :confused: :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.