Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmachine

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
I have a PowerMac with the following specs: Power PC G4 400mhz,256MB RAM,30GB Hard Drive,DVD-ROM,Mac OS 9.2.

It is just sitting around collecting dust and I would like to do something with it. How much would I have to put into it to set it up as a server? What all would I need to add and would it be worth it?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
dmachine said:
How much would I have to put into it to set it up as a server? What all would I need to add and would it be worth it?

Nothing. You could use it as is, as a light-duty server. Mac OS 9 supports personal file sharing via TCP/IP, so you're all set to use OS X client machines.

If anything, you could upgrade the RAM to 512mb and install Panther or Tiger. This would give you greater stability and flexibility, as OS X supports Windows file sharing.

Whatever you decide, it would serve as an excellent backup computer with OS X installed. PowerMac G4s are still very usable systems, especially the Sawtooth and later models (with AGP).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.