Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
Here is the news I have heard from the grape-vine (a person who networks and is a major M$ supporter). He says about the new M$ opperating system, that it is suppose to be 128 bit. Intel is apparently developing a 128-bit processor that is NOT backward compatable with older hardware or software. M$ is developing a 128-bit Windows version from the ground-up that will NOT have legacy support for 16 or 32-bit software. The thing is, that M$ will have this in the workings for many years, and during that time when they are testing it, many companies will probably find work-arounds which M$ will incorperate into the OS, which will once again, make it buggier than ever.

Here is another thing I found very funny posted on the Symantec site:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After running Speed Disk under Windows XP, the drive is still fragmented
Situation:
You are running Speed Disk under Windows XP. Speed Disk may seem to run slower than the 2001 version, and after completion, the drive still shows significant fragmentation.

Solution:
Speed Disk for Windows XP does not use the native Speed Disk driver. Instead it uses the Microsoft MoveFile API. This results in less functionality and less thoroughness for Speed Disk, though moves are now handled in a "Microsoft-approved" manner.

As a result of the migration away from the Norton Speed Disk driver, higher amounts of fragmentation may remain on the drive after Speed Disk completes. Speed Disk for Windows XP does not touch system files, system folders, or Master File Table (MFT). In addition, some of the fragmented files are unmovable, such as the _Restore files and the Pagefile. Therefore, higher fragmentation rates may be reported, especially for the System Volume Information folder. However, fragmentation will still be much lower than it was before running Speed Disk, and file placement will be optimized.

Once you have established a baseline fragmentation level that the operating system is not going to allow you to get beyond, you can adjust the alarm level in the System Doctor sensor so that it is not red all the time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice how Symantec itself makes fun of microsoft by putting quotes around "Microsoft-approved". This is the future of Windows. Soon, Microsoft will probably keep the volume map on a server that you must log onto before you can start Windows;-)

I personally use a PC laptop with WinXP (b/c my university made me buy it). I must say, XP is better than many incarnations of Windows' past, but still, the lack of integration of the OS to the hardware definately shows.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
I've seen or heard aboslutely nothing about anything like that. Seems like it would be hard for this guy to know abuot it and no-one else. a 128 bit system probably wouldn't even be that much of an advantage, since 64 bit systems aren't even being fully taken advantage of yet. If such a beast were to come out, it would be for ultra high end servers, like stuff int he multiple hundreds of thousands of dallars kind of range probably.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I'll try and get more info about it next week, but apparently, this is suppose to be the next BIG thing from Intel and Microsoft. Now, that doesn't mean that there won't be some other upgrades to Windows and Intel chips, but from what I gathered from him (and he is a Cisco/Computer programming teacher at a local HS), Intel and Microsoft are working on it. It is suppose to be the first MS operating system that is not backward compatable, and it is going to be many years still in the making, but it may be the next Big thing to hit the server market. Considering 64-bit processors are now being incorperated into desktop home computers, this may not be far fetched. I will see if I can find any other sources for this info, but it'll take me a while.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
I didn't say that other companies aren't working on 128 bit processors, but according to my contact, Intel and Microsoft are working on a joint venture on this project (nothing out of the ordinary, right;-)). I would like it if someone got to the 128-bit stage before Intel did, but Intel has a lot more resources than most other chip-makers, and therefore is probably going to be the first one on the market with a 128-bit processor. And again, this is unconfirmed info, and I am going to get back to you all about it when I find out more.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
let me qualify my original statement somewhat. It wouldn't really surprise me to find out that 128 bit chips are at least being discussed at major semiconductor companies, but I seriously doubt there is any huge development being done there yet. Seems to me that 64 bit stuff is really still in its infancy and has a LOT of room to grow. I would also be surprised if there was in fact any close work being done between MS and intel at this point on it. I doubt any designs being discussed are far enough along that MS could really have much thats useful to add. I'm sure there are discussions like "if we do this, will you support it" from both sides.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
128bit, hmm sounds nice, I guess 128bit computing will be all the rage in a few year, it will take ages to come across, I mean we haven't even hit 64bit yet.

It was a tough task to get everyone to jump from 16 to 32bit

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Heh. I don't believe it at all. What would one do with a 128 bit processor? Is there anything that needs 2^128 precision? Why haven't we heard about it by now (their 64 bit Itanium, which is not backwards compatible, has been under development for 10 years and known about for almost that long)? I think this is probably talking about an Itanium version of Windows, and they got their bits confused. If there are 128 bit procs, we'll see them in servers first (same as we saw 64 bit procs in servers in the 1980s), then they'll trickle down to the desktop sometime in about 2100 or so when we actually need that much ram. Of course, by then we'll all be using quantum computers, so it won't matter :).

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
128bit ?

The former poster is correct. It's possible to do but there are no apps out there that require 128bits. The largest Databases and Data Minining apps today still do fine with 64bit.

We all know Microsoft isn't going to get into anything unless big money is the outcome. This sounds like something small. Like a 128bit DSP but not something a whole large OS will utilize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.