Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrandMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Hey everyone,

There are two users on my iMac running Tiger. I would like to have one iTunes library that is updated on both users when something new is added.

Example :

User 1 adds new album to library - Album is added to library on User 2's side.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Laurence

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Create a Music folder in ~/Users/Shared and point both users' iTunes apps to use that folder (iTunes --> Preferences --> Advanced --> General).

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
GrandMan said:
Hey everyone,

There are two users on my iMac running Tiger. I would like to have one iTunes library that is updated on both users when something new is added.

Example :

User 1 adds new album to library - Album is added to library on User 2's side.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Laurence

User 1 - logged in, iTunes running, sharing enabled
User 2 - shares user 1 iTunes
Will only work if all music is added by User 1
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it does work (use it to stream music over airport express, while listening to other music at the computer)

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
WildCowboy said:
Create a Music folder in ~/Users/Shared and point both users' iTunes apps to use that folder (iTunes --> Preferences --> Advanced --> General).

hey, that sounds like a better idea...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Scottyk9 said:
hey, that sounds like a better idea...

Yep, it's how my fianceé and I do it on an iBook that we share...works beautifully.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I currently have the same setup (1 library stored in the Shared folder, with 2 iTunes in different user accounts pointed at it) and it works OK if you remember to periodically 'Add To Library' in both accounts. This method allows you to have separate playlists & ratings etc.

The only disadvantage I have found (and still have not resolved :mad: ) is that something to do with this method has caused iTunes to not work in my girlfriend's account for things like playing music in iPhoto slideshows… The tracks are visible, but simply refuse to play when double-clicked.

Anyone else had the same problem? Any ideas how to fix it?

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
R.Youden said:
Why can we do this with iTunes but not iPhoto?

You should be able to change the iPhoto library by editing the plist file in (username) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.iPhoto.plist

The property is called RootDirectory. You will have to manually copy your files to the new directory though.

edit- ok, this doesn't quite work. Once you change the RootDirectory path, you have to relaunch iPhoto and use it's prompt to create a new directory in Users/Shared. Then copy your old library to the new folder that was created.

GrandMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
orbital~debris said:
I currently have the same setup (1 library stored in the Shared folder, with 2 iTunes in different user accounts pointed at it) and it works OK if you remember to periodically 'Add To Library' in both accounts. This method allows you to have separate playlists & ratings etc.

Will I still have to manually add to library what is added on the other user?

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
GrandMan said:
Will I still have to manually add to library what is added on the other user?

Yes you will, but if you just remember to do it every now & then, it only takes a few seconds.
The main advantage is that it's cool to be able to have your own playlists & ratings, yet still both have all the same music available.
Again, the downside is that it seems to break integration with other iLife apps… I still have no idea how to fix it (having tried quite a lot!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.