Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
For bulleted lists, I used to be able to hit Tab to increase indent and create a 'sub'-list. But now, it doesn't work anymore.

How do I fix this to make it work?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Actually, you should be able to just hit the increase tab icon on the top or in the format panel. I am in word right now and mine works. I can create at least 5 sub categories in a bullet list.
Did you restart?

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
iSaint said:
Did you enter down to the next line after starting your bullet list? The next bullet should appear automatically, and you should be able to tab from there.
Does not work.

jessica. said:
Actually, you should be able to just hit the increase tab icon on the top or in the format panel. I am in word right now and mine works. I can create at least 5 sub categories in a bullet list.
Did you restart?

I want to be able to use the Tab key on my keyboard.

piersb

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
Put a check in
Word > Preferences > Edit > Tabs & Backspace Set Left Indent.

Solved the problem for me.

dodss

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
Tab

I'm having the same problem. I've followed all the advice on this page so far and nothing has changed.

I use the Notebook layout on Microsoft Word and it used to work perfectly. One day, the tab button stopped indenting the bullet points and now just doesn't work.

DoLittleDoc

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2008
Word 2011 solution to tab indent problem

The solution in Word 2011 is similar to what piersb said, "Put a check in
Word > Preferences > Edit > Tabs & Backspace Set Left Indent." Except need to check the "Tabs & Backspace Set Left Indent" box after clicking AutoCorrrect in Word Preferences and selecting the "AutoFormat as You Type" tab :)

Last edited:

guruholz

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2014
Thank you!

The solution in Word 2011 is similar to what piersb said, "Put a check in
Word > Preferences > Edit > Tabs & Backspace Set Left Indent." Except need to check the "Tabs & Backspace Set Left Indent" box after clicking AutoCorrrect in Word Preferences and selecting the "AutoFormat as You Type" tab :)

Worked perfectly! Thanks so much! :)

bkrangel

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2016
Promote a paragraph

CONTROL + SHIFT + LEFT ARROW

Demote a paragraph

CONTROL + SHIFT + RIGHT ARROW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.