Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I despise the metronome in garageband, as it always begins to tick as i start to record something.

Does anyone know a way to turn it off FOR GOOD? so that it doesn't turn on for every new song?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
VanNess said:
Deselect it in the control menu or command-u (toggles on and off)

Unfortunately, that doesn't deselect it FOR GOOD, which is what the original poster was asking. It's only deselects it for the current project. I haven't found a way to start a new project and have the metronome turned off by default.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
dejo said:
Unfortunately, that doesn't deselect it FOR GOOD, which is what the original poster was asking. It's only deselects it for the current project. I haven't found a way to start a new project and have the metronome turned off by default.

You can start a new song ('My Song") and do nothing but deselect the metronome. Save it. You can use that as your new song template, so next new project, just open the template instead of opening a new project and then change, tempo, key, etc.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
VanNess said:
You can start a new song ('My Song") and do nothing but deselect the metronome. Save it. You can use that as your new song template, so next new project, just open the template instead of opening a new project and then change, tempo, key, etc.

Sure, that'll work but it's not very Apple-esque. I think a better solution would be for them to add a metronome setting to the GarageBand preferences.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Mine don't default to having the metronome. I suppose it's because I shut it off at one point. New projects don't have it.

EDIT: OK. I'm a jackass. Apparently they do. Hmmm.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
dejo said:
Sure, that'll work but it's not very Apple-esque. I think a better solution would be for them to add a metronome setting to the GarageBand preferences.

Depends on how many users would actually benefit from that. I would suspect most musicians would prefer to have it as an on/off toggle the way it is now, and novices especially should be using it when recording live performance tracks.

I don't have GB3, so I don't know how the metronome feature is used in recording Podcasts, but I couldn't imagine why you would need a metronome to record a radio-like show. But for musicians, it's a different story.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
VanNess said:
Depends on how many users would actually benefit from that. I would suspect most musicians would prefer to have it as an on/off toggle the way it is now, and novices especially should be using it when recording live performance tracks.

But by having it as a preference setting, those musicians that should use it can choose to leave it on (and that can be the initial default; I'm fine with that). Those musicians who are recording tracks with their own time-keeper (a percussion section, for example) or with varied tempos, etc. can choose to have it off by default. I think that's reasonable.

dapsito

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
Record the click on one channel

Well, i like using the metronome, but you guys know a way of saving the metronome on one side? or even manipulate it where it only sounds on one channel either L or R?

Thanks!
:apple:

ThatGuy199113

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
I had the same problem with the metronome as well. If the situation is that you, on the same track your having problems with, were recording with the metronome on; then have tried to deselect it but it still plays. then its not the metronome, its the recording of the metronome. try muting everything and see if the metronome still ticks.

ThtGuy
:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.