Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agurri

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Québec, Canada
Several months ago, my lovely 3G 20 GB iPod died. Since I didn't wat to spend another 300+$ on another one, I waited. Last night I ordered a refurb. iPod 20GB Color for 255 $ tx included. Plus all the accessories I had are going to work so, it's nice. So, I have this dead iPod ... what can I do with it ... Heck I don't want to trash it, nor put it in the garbage, I would like to make something useful ... do you guys have any ideas ? They can be very complicated, or juste simple as a rock ... but not a rock ...

Thanks, Oliver

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Agurri said:
Several months ago, my lovely 3G 20 GB iPod died. Since I didn't wat to spend another 300+$ on another one, I waited. Last night I ordered a refurb. iPod 20GB Color for 255 $ tx included. Plus all the accessories I had are going to work so, it's nice. So, I have this dead iPod ... what can I do with it ... Heck I don't want to trash it, nor put it in the garbage, I would like to make something useful ... do you guys have any ideas ? They can be very complicated, or juste simple as a rock ... but not a rock ...

Thanks, Oliver

Apple is taking them back AFAIK...

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Ten uses for a dead iPod (in no particular order):

1. Replace drive and use as a Firewire/USB external drive enclosure
2. Replace drive and use as an iPod
3. Paperweight
4. Doorstop
5. Gaze at it as an Objet d'art
6. eBay it for spares
7. Use as a photographic model for a still-life composition
8. Hammer in nails with it
9. Use as a blunt instrument in the conduct of a felony
10. Chuck it in the bin

:D

Johnny Rico

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2005
For real, if you don't want to fix it I'm sure you could find someone on here who would love to have it and repair it. A new 1.8" 20 gb drive is around a hundred bucks. I'll offer you shipping for your dead ipod.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Marky_Mark said:
Ten uses for a dead iPod (in no particular order):

1. Replace drive and use as a Firewire/USB external drive enclosure
2. Replace drive and use as an iPod
3. Paperweight
4. Doorstop
5. Gaze at it as an Objet d'art
6. eBay it for spares
7. Use as a photographic model for a still-life composition
8. Hammer in nails with it
9. Use as a blunt instrument in the conduct of a felony
10. Chuck it in the bin

Excellent list of options Marky_Mark! :D

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
doesn't apple take them back and recycle it for you and in exchange they give you 10% off... :confused:

Agurri

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Québec, Canada
Well, I wanted to do something useful out of it. I could replace the drive, that's a fact, but with the new iPod coming along, I think that would be useless.

I'm sure you guys ever thought of something... c'mon let's hear them :)

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i feel your pain. My 3G 10GB iPod died on me recently. It was a hard drive problem, so nothing i could do could save it. :(

So i gutted it!

Heres a pic of the *real* 3G iPod (image is inverted because of MPB Photobooth)

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Try skimming it! Perfect size, weight and flatness to really zip over water.

jrober

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
Funeral?

For such a loved friend, I would suggest a suitable solemn funeral. However using the body with engraving as the headstone may be poor taste but would look cool.

Attachments

• untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 148

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You could try selling it on eBay, especially if you know what's broken, (eg HD etc. etc.) as someone might want to combine two broken iPod's to get a working one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.