Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boneca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
Sorry if this is posted in wrong place.
For example, by default all video files are opening with QuickTime Player but I want to set it to be defaulted to VLC. How do I do that?
I know I can do right click on the file and select application to open and even check the check box to always open with this application but this will stay only to this particular file.

Thank you.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Choose "Get Info" on the File, change the default application to open it with, then click the button "Change All" or something like that.

anarak

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
default application

I have a problem similar to this that i do not know how to solve becase i am new to mac compters. My aunt gave me an iMac v10.3.9 apple mac computer and everytime i download something and i try to open one of the files that came with it, it asks me to choose a default application to open it with. i just need some help as to what applications i use to open what types of files...

Thank You,
anarak

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I have a problem similar to this that i do not know how to solve becase i am new to mac compters. My aunt gave me an iMac v10.3.9 apple mac computer and everytime i download something and i try to open one of the files that came with it, it asks me to choose a default application to open it with. i just need some help as to what applications i use to open what types of files...

Thank You,
anarak

What type of file is it? Can you see an extension on it?

anarak

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
What do you mean extension? like .exe? Because i have things like .db .CAB .d2i

mrcrister

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2009
similar problem with .doc files

I am having a similar problem with .doc files. I have changed the default application though Get Info as well as through Open With > Other... > Always Open With...but it seems that the default application always reverts to OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Word. I want OpenOffice just in case but it seems very invasive. Personally I'd like to stick with Pages and iWork if at all possible but the rest of the word isn't there yet :). Any suggestions? Or is anyone else having the same problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.