Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Funny how the US trails behind the rest of the world in concepts like this.

Macy's Readies iPod Vending Machines

"The Zoom Stores will sell iPods and accessories, and will test products from Sony Corp. and Motorola, per news reports. Shoppers pay with a credit card, debit card or Macy's gift card."

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
When I read the title I instantly thought to myself, "Isn't it 'Macy*s?'" :p

That is pretty interesting that these high end vending machines are popping up more and more.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
aricher said:
Funny how the US trails behind the rest of the world in concepts like this.

Trails the rest of the world? This is something that would be good in a third world country. It's a luxury to go up to a store and talk to an actual person, just like it is when you're calling your bank. I don't want to get my iPods from a machine, there's no personal touch, I can't ask any questions, etc.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I was referring to the on-the-go convenience of vending products like this. Don't get me wrong, I like customer service in some areas but when it comes to buying gadgets I usually know more about the products than the employee I would interact with. If it came down to buying an iPod or cell phone from a vending machine vs. a clueless teen at Best Buy I'd take the vending machine any day. At least the vending machine doesn't try to sell me on an extended warranty or 8 weeks free subscription to Entertainment Weekly. It's also commonplace in most of the industrialized world to use your cell phone or even biometrics to pay for goods at vending machines. Something about Macy's consumers using old fashioned credit cards at these machines seems quaint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.