Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Does anyone have any information regarding the next upgrade to the Cinema HD Display 23 or any new display upgrades coming in the near future (2003-2004)?

So far, i read that Apple might add a TV tunner to the display. If you have any info or speculations, it would be great.

Philoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Does anyone know if the next Cinema display might be OSX only like the Apple 20" display?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by Philoman
Does anyone know if the next Cinema display might be OSX only like the Apple 20" display?
At this point, it might very well be OS X only.

It depends on the resolution I guess. Then again some of the older video boards might not support it either.

So how long do you intend to run OS 9? Or are you still running OS 8?

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
That kind of super high res. would require one huge uber-L33t graphics card. Maybe apple is planing to buy ATI or something?
Also, that kind of res would probably go into a 26" display. (Thats 1" less than my TV!) Right now, there is a 3" difference between all the displays, 17, 20, 23. So the next logical one would be 26. Maybe it would be Dual Layer. 3840x2400 times 2 would be 18432000 pixels. Lets hope that they don't charge 1¢ per pixel. That would be $184,320!

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
hey

I know your kidding but no would ever charge 1 cent per pixel, my PB screen alone would cost 10931.2 dollars... er yeah. I want one of thouse new 20" display's thar pretty yup....

Philoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Hey Bear

thanks for your input.

I have os 9.22 and os 10.23 installed on my mac (G4 500 Dual & PB400 pismo). I have compared the two systems working on the same applications. At this point, i prefer using 9.22. The 9.22 is quicker in many ways. user interface and applications are superior on the 9.22. I can open a file anywhere on my computer faster on 9 then X. also even the latest graphic and office applications are more stable on the 9 then X. Also the 9 seems to be snappier than the X. (i hate the way X snapps so far appart from eachother and moves a file all the way to the bottom or the side in a window - bad bad bad). when something is REALLY GOOD, there should be no "getting used to period."

As much as I want to go forward with the new OS, the lack of control and speed and poor user interface is holding me back. When os8 was introduced, the switch was an instant happy one, again from 8 to 9 was a joy. I can't say the same for 9 to X. The only thing that the X has over 9 is the cosmetics at this point. Why do you think apple is trying so hard to migrate people by introducing great suite of applications such as iLife. One of my happiest mac user days will be when i can say damn the OSX is so much better than the os9.

As far the Cinema Display goes, I think it's great because it's a beautiful product and it helps to be more productive one's work by having more screen real estate. Dual screen is nice but this is even better!

That is why I want my monitor to be both osx and 9 compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.