Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
Everyone seems to talk about the sticky trackpad button on the 12" with great disdain. Does it stick on your dad's 17"?

Sorry if you've already been asked this...

Chuck.
http://www.madebydesign.net

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: While we wait - übergeek, a question

Originally posted by Chuck
Everyone seems to talk about the sticky trackpad button on the 12" with great disdain. Does it stick on your dad's 17"?

Sorry if you've already been asked this...

Chuck.
perhaps a PM would be nicer, I didn't see this thread for some time until one of my friends told me.
Ummmm i'm using it right now and i don't have a real problem with it perhaps i got a little too used to it.
It's the size of the screen that *still* bugs me.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
PB 17"

Just a quick question, how did U get it so fast? Chuck mentioned your father, does he do something @ Apple, thus got the machine sooner?

I had a 15" on order from an Apple employee, but they said that although I could upgrade to the 17" it would still be 3-4 weeks.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: PB 17"

Originally posted by ryme4reson
Just a quick question, how did U get it so fast? Chuck mentioned your father, does he do something @ Apple, thus got the machine sooner?

I had a 15" on order from an Apple employee, but they said that although I could upgrade to the 17" it would still be 3-4 weeks.
haha my dad works at apple ;)
therefore i got a machine pretty quickly.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
Hey über.... What about:

- fan noise
- changing batteries whilst in sleep mode
- heat of the machine underneath
- and does the screen ever touch the keys?

Chuck

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
Thats cool, how long did you have to wait? Under the EPP (Employee Purchase Program) I was still going to have 2 wait 3-4 weeks.

I used to want to work at Apple, then I realized it was nothing more than a dream. Who would ever want to work in an industry that is so volatile. I have known many people who worked at Apple, and in technology in general, and most of them are always changing jobs and going from here to there (not to mention the current and future recessions.)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by Chuck
Hey über.... What about:

- fan noise
- changing batteries whilst in sleep mode
- heat of the machine underneath
- and does the screen ever touch the keys?

Chuck
it's one of the preproduction machine thingies.
Fan noise not bad, batteries in sleep mode never tried, heat never cared, screen touch keys-doesn't that happen with every single apple laptop?

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
The people I know working for Apple are always there...working.

Right, they are always working until the pink slips comes. I have known about 6 people who have been laid off, and a few current employees who are pissed at the lack of raises. I understand this is the business cycles, and tech isnt doing so hot, but as a young adult I cant understand why I would want to get into such an unstable business. I personally enjoy getting my check every two weeks, and knowing I will have a job next month. I can finance that car, boat, or trip to Brazil knowing I can pay it off.

Personally I have known these people let go from Apple
Hardware -- Ex girlfriends father ( somewhere around 97)
Software -- Friend of a friend (Jan 01)
Other -- an ex girlfriend (Dec 02-Jan 03)
Networking /Software (dont remember the dates)
Intranet / Email (somewhere in 97)

I have realized not many people are going to "retire" from Apple. A few people made enough in the 80's w/ stock that they are sitting fat now, but as for the young, bright, programmer, I just dont see the reasoning. I dont want to work my ass off, just to be let go.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by Megaquad
übergeek please tell us about that screen thing that you said it bugs you
17" is pretty big for a laptop and although i'm used to gigantic LCD's on desktops, i'm not that used to it on laptops :)
it's like a built in cinema display in the AluBook!

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Originally posted by übergeek
it's one of the preproduction machine thingies.
Fan noise not bad, batteries in sleep mode never tried, heat never cared, screen touch keys-doesn't that happen with every single apple laptop?

The keys are not supposed to touch the screen on the 12 and 17" PBs. Apple has added little rubber nubs to the corners of the screen which I've read was intended to keep the screen from touching the keys.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by law guy
The keys are not supposed to touch the screen on the 12 and 17" PBs. Apple has added little rubber nubs to the corners of the screen which I've read was intended to keep the screen from touching the keys.
they did that on the iBooks and it doesn't work i see these little places on the LCD where it looks filthy. on the alubook i haven't noticed yet.

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
17" is pretty big for a laptop and although i'm used to gigantic LCD's on desktops, i'm not that used to it on laptops :)
it's like a built in cinema display in the AluBook!
well if you dont like it give it to me :p :D

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by Megaquad
well if you dont like it give it to me :p :D

LOL!!! You will still have to wait some months until you get yours Mega. I can feel your pain of waiting and waiting and waiting... and then that beachball spinning and you waiting and waiting... :D Apple needs to speed up things for delivery, cause this waiting game drives people nuts!

P.S. That Star Trek site you have Mega is awsome!!! Congratulations!

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
LOL!!! You will still have to wait some months until you get yours Mega. I can feel your pain of waiting and waiting and waiting... and then that beachball spinning and you waiting and waiting... :D Apple needs to speed up things for delivery, cause this waiting game drives people nuts!

P.S. That Star Trek site you have Mega is awsome!!! Congratulations!
how you dare to mock my powerful imac! *trying to type this with 2 secs lag before key pressed appears in this txtfield with lots of colorful spinning beachballs* :D
and cmon, that is only 'coming soon' intro for my website, its not even complete yet

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
they did that on the iBooks and it doesn't work i see these little places on the LCD where it looks filthy. on the alubook i haven't noticed yet.

Now that I've looked at the 17" I haven't actually seen the rubber nubs - but your father's 17" has them? Also, just curious, - what was the country of origin on the pre-production machine you're using?

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
i saw a preproduction 17" at the short hills store and i was pretty sure that the keys didnt touch the screen.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by law guy
Now that I've looked at the 17" I haven't actually seen the rubber nubs - but your father's 17" has them? Also, just curious, - what was the country of origin on the pre-production machine you're using?
hell i have no idea. there are no nubs on the 17" i was just saying that the iBooks do and they're useless ;)

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
hell i have no idea. there are no nubs on the 17" i was just saying that the iBooks do and they're useless ;)

there were nubs on the preproduction one i saw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.