Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
I was wondering if you've had any issues with your PowerBook's paint. I know this was a huge issue for previous generations of this particular machine, but Apple supposedly fixed the problem. I only ask because this is a factor in my decision to go ahead and buy now or wait for an aluminum 15" model. Thanks!

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
So no paint chipping off of the case or scratching off too easily? What about dings and such? And I read that the area where your palm rests when you're typing is vulnerable to some discoloration, too. I'm just making sure Apple really did fix these problems like they say they did. This machine has to last me through the rest of college and law school (another 4 years or so). Anyone else want to chime in? :)

TheMightyG

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Boston
Hi wsteineker:

I just bought a 15" 1Ghz PB to replace my 667Mhz Gigabit Ethernet Tibook.
I can say without a doubt that the paint job is much nicer on the 1 gig, especially the lighter coloured paint on the side trims. On my old Tibook the top and bottom cases never flaked or bubbled but I had a lot of chipped paint around the Kingston lock, sound out port and combo drive, even though I went to great pains to baby it. I actually never had a problem with paint discolouration or flaking off of the palmrests on either Tibook. I think this may have been a problem with the original 400/500Mhz models but I could be wrong (can only speak from personal experience).

I have heard lots of anecdotes that Apple improved its painting of the tibook ever since the DVI (667/800Mhz) models last spring.
I can certainly say that the quality appears to be a lot better with this current rev. The finish on my new machine is a lot smoother around the sides...so far so good.

However, I still plan on babying this machine just as much as the old one......once bitten twice shy!:)

One more thing: I have a metal banded watch which I always take off when I use the computer.

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Sweet! Thanks MightyG. You answered my biggest question. If you don't mind, I've got one more. Do you find that the screen a) has any sort of indentations from the keyboard, and b) flexes when touched? Thanks for the information, man. I really appreciate it! :)

TheMightyG

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Boston
Hey no problem:D

he problem with the Tibook is that its so thin that the keys will always touch the screen, so any oils that you have on your fingers will be transferred onto the screen. So, the first accessory that I bought for my 667Mhz was the keyboard screen protector from macsales.com. You can find it here . Besides Applecare, this was the best $$ that I spent on the machine.

The machine does flex a bit when you pick it up from the side only if the machine is open. Also, if you push forward towards the screen on the top case the pressure will be transmitted through to the LCD but its no big deal. I think its due to the characteristics of the metal rather than poor design. I heard that the aluminum PBs are much more rigid but haven't tried them myself. I have never found it a problem...I just pick it up from the middle if the machine is open. It doesn't flex at all when its closed.

Hope this helps. The 15" is really a great machine and I'm glad I bought it instead of waiting around forever for the rumoured Al Book (don't really need the new features anyways).

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I had my original Rev A 500 and my latest 1GHz side by side for awhile.... no problems with the paint at all, although I didn't have any problems with my Rev A either. One thing I did notice though is that the finish on the latest TiBooks feels alittle rougher, and the build quality as a whole is much better.

Never had a problem with key imprints on the screen, although mine got wiped everyday.... (it's a designer thing!)

The speed difference is also huge between the 2....

Personally though, I'd wait for the next 15" update!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.