Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THE DUPPY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
please give me some advice, i managed 2 knock my 6 month old pride and joy G4 Ibook off my bed and onto the floor where it landed with a painful thud! on inspecting the ibook i noticed that the 2 little arms that attatch the lid to the keyboard were slightly popped open?!?!?! so i managed to snap the casing on them back together, on further inspection the only remaining damage seems to be just above the g4 ibook logo at the bottom of the screen, the casing seems to have come detatched from the bottom of the screen itself, meaning when i open the lid of the ibook, it pries the screen and casing apart everytime i open it, when the lid is open the problem is barely noticeable, however i feel that this problem may get worse and develop into something major, basically im panicking and if anyone has done something similar or has advice it would be much appreciated :) :mad:

btw this is the problem
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamac.jpg

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I had something similar happen, only it was on the top

Somehow, I was able to just kinda pop it back in with playing with it for a while

Scared the shizzit outta me too. :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm also think that it's an expensive repair. Do you know what held the plastic bottom piece against the LCD screen before? If so, then I'd figure out of that mechanism alone can be fixed. Also phone Apple or an Apple reseller that does repairs can tell you whether it's possible to send it in for repair and have them only fix the plastic bit without replacing the entire LCD panel (even though your LCD probably works fine). I think the answer will be "No", but check anyway.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^Applecare isn't an issue in this case. It's not a defect. He dropped it.

The question should be: Is your iBook insured? I mean, is it covered under some form of insurance, or something like your parents' homeowners insurance?

keithbennis

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2006
Coral Springs
Abstract said:
^^Applecare isn't an issue in this case. It's not a defect. He dropped it.

The question should be: Is your iBook insured? I mean, is it covered under some form of insurance, or something like your parents' homeowners insurance?

oh ok

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
I think iBooks contain some type of pheromone that makes you fall asleep. I have fallen asleep with it on more than one occasion, one time resulting in it falling onto the floor. Luckily, I have carpeting in my room so all that happened was the screen was knocked slightly out of alignment.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
keithbennis said:
the question is....... do you have AppleCare?

it's only 6 months old so it would be covered by the standard warranty.....if he hadn't dropped it.....Applecare's warranty extension only comes into use in the 2nd and 3rd year so having Applecare wouldn't be an issue

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
it's a cheap repair, the magnesium frame around the lcd is broken, this happened to my ibook when some idiot dropped a giant cisco router on it (2600) and crushed it flat open.

what you need to do is just buy a new bezel on ebay and get someone to put it in for you, unless you think you can do it (you need to take the whole bottom bit apart to get the LCD off then take the lcd panel out and into the new bezel and put it all back together again, it's long.)

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Hector said:
it's a cheap repair, the magnesium frame around the lcd is broken, this happened to my ibook when some idiot dropped a giant cisco router on it (2600) and crushed it flat open.

what you need to do is just buy a new bezel on ebay and get someone to put it in for you, unless you think you can do it (you need to take the whole bottom bit apart to get the LCD off then take the lcd panel out and into the new bezel and put it all back together again, it's long.)

++

I did the same thing to my old G3 iBook. With the right tools and instructions the take apart is pretty easy. I did it in about 2 hours and it only cost me $27 for the bezel on eBay and ~$8 for the Torx/screwdriver set.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
briansolomon said:
That's an expensive repair.... $200-300 I'm thinking but it looks like your LCD is okay which is HUGE

Obviously you know very little about fixing laptops. The LCD itself would be cheaper than $200 on eBay.

Regardless, as the poster above said, just buy a new screen bezel (or if you can't find a bezel alone, buy the whole screen and just resell the LCD) on eBay.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
What's the yellowish thing wedged between the panel and the frame by the way? It seems like a cigarette butt has dropped in there as well :confused:

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
generik said:
What's the yellowish thing wedged between the panel and the frame by the way? It seems like a cigarette butt has dropped in there as well :confused:

Looks like the tape Apple uses to hold wires down to me.

Yeah $200-300=NO WAY. I sold a whole display+assembly on ebay for $175.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
ITASOR said:

I think the $200-300 figure was for getting an Applecentre to fix it. I remember seeing some amazing figured being thrown around in the ballpark of $1000 just to fix a dent on a PBG4.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Try http://www.pbparts.com if you cannot find one anywhere else.

$80 for a new display bezel from them, the entire display assembly is a lot less for the iBook than the PowerBook.

If you did the same for one of those. :eek:

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
ITASOR said:

The proper term (read: Apple Blessed) is Kapton Tape.

THE DUPPY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
erm

thanks for all the help guys but i think after some of the prices youve been quoting, and how involved the process of fixing it is i may just leave it and bear with it, what will happen if i do, and can anyone tell me exactly what has broken, because to me it just looks like the lcd screen has become unstuck from the surround, nothing looks cracked or split in half, merely seperated?

:confused:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you can get the bezel brace with clutch assembly cheap, you should be fine.

What is $20-80 to prevent changing a $400 part (entire LCD housing) down the road.

If you look, the LCD is being held on by one side of the frame now.

Wazahere

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2006
what he said

yeah, i dropped mine too which originally would hold itself up just like yours for a while but then it just got increasingly worse....

so i'd suggest opening it (or have someone that knows what they're doing) open it and you should be able to see which part it is.. mostl likely the bezel brace, just sayin' that cause mine ended up beign broken in 3 spots, and was similar to the looks of yours now.

that ifixit site is pretty good, btw.

This is NOT an expensive repair. I work for an Apple Authorized Service Center and I have seen this kind of thing before.

All he needs is a new bezel brace assembly, he has cracked his old one. The yellow tape you see is the stuff that covers part of the Inverter board for the LCD.

You might even be lucky, some independents might even fix it under AppleCare, since the bezel assembly does not have to go back to Apple no one has to know you broke it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.