Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleweek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Hi,
I have an old Summer 2000 iMac DV SE running Tiger. Recently when I powered up the machine I saw the display flicker a bit then went dead. I also began to smell something burning from the rear ventilation ports. Now when I press the power button, it lights up for a brief moment then the burning smell returns. What component does it look like has failed? What are the chances of getting it repaired/replaced?

Less optomisticaly, in what way could I transfer the data from the dead iMac HDD to my Intel Mini?

Thanks in advance!

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Well, for starters, stop booting it. It may be a problem with the display; I just read something about how those Imacs won't boot fully if the display dies (it's likely a component of the power source, I can't remember the name of it for the life of me). Google around with your symptoms and the service manual, those machines are actually a lot easier to repair than they seem (but be VERY careful, CRT monitors and TVs store enough current to kill you instantly).

As for getting the info, just remove the chassis and the hard drive and find either a vacant external case or a friend with a tower you can put it in and dump the info to a dvd or hook it to the Mini (boot the mini as a target drive and plug it into the machine you moved the hd to). It's likely the HD was not effected, whatever the problem. Good luck (and if you junk it, PM me, I might be interested in that optical drive)!

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
appleweek said:
Hi,
I have an old Summer 2000 iMac DV SE running Tiger. Recently when I powered up the machine I saw the display flicker a bit then went dead. I also began to smell something burning from the rear ventilation ports. Now when I press the power button, it lights up for a brief moment then the burning smell returns. What component does it look like has failed? What are the chances of getting it repaired/replaced?

Less optomisticaly, in what way could I transfer the data from the dead iMac HDD to my Intel Mini?

Thanks in advance!
Woah it just went like that, a relative has a 1999 model, but his seems ok, but it wold be nice for him to have a mac mini

appleweek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Thanks guys. I was afraid of the bad news myself.

I did call a local Apple Authorized Reseller and the guy said it had been a familiar problem with 6+ y.o. iMac's like myself. The problem is apparently with the Analog-Video board component. He said they could repair it but the component+labour is 2/3's price of a new Mac Mini, or alternatively I could try to source the part myself. I also found some guides online to do the replacement, but i've never even picked up a soldering iron in my life and it seems pretty complex.

I'm wondering how easy it is to dissassemble that iMac to get the HDD located at the very bottom of the machine. Any pointers on an easy-to-follow pictorial guide??

BTW, disconap, my iMac has just a regular ole DVD-ROM, nothing special...

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.