Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dansgil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I find that the new ones don't stay in my ear at all, but the old ones do. Am I the only one who prefers the older style?

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
cbetta said:
are there any non-apple earphones that DO fit with the white ipod design?
They aren't non-Apple, but Apple's In-Ear Headphones are like heaven in your ear and they sound so much better. And they fit perfectly in with your iPod's color scheme.

I personally hate the old earbuds and I haven't tried the new ones. I honestly get sores in my ears from the old ones. It's bearable until they start to bleed... :(

I'm an Apple In-Ear guy. I'm on my third pair.

Daniel.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
BurtonCCC said:
They aren't non-Apple, but Apple's In-Ear Headphones are like heaven in your ear and they sound so much better. And they fit perfectly in with your iPod's color scheme.

I personally hate the old earbuds and I haven't tried the new ones. I honestly get sores in my ears from the old ones. It's bearable until they start to bleed... :(

Daniel.

Third pair as in... purchased? Or replaced?

Good suggestion, the Apple in-ears are good.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
i heard that the apple in-ears fall out really easily when working out. is that true? I need a new pair and I'm either going to get the in-ears or the new style earbuds. i work out 3x a week and i won't put up with them falling out every 5 minutes.

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
i feel that the new ones are much more comfortable that the old ones. they sound better too. I think its just personal preference though, and genetics. either you have the right ears or you dont! lol

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
Ubuntu said:
Third pair as in... purchased? Or replaced?

Good suggestion, the Apple in-ears are good.
It makes them sound like crap, but third pair replaced.

First pair bought almost two years ago. Right speaker quit working after about 10 months. Took back to Apple with original receipt and box. Replaced in five minutes. About two weeks ago, speaker adhesive (crazy red glue) apparently had worn away and speaker came away from the enclosure. Took to Apple. Another ten minutes in the store (would have been five minutes if the 24" iMac hadn't made me soil myself) and I had my new set of In-Ear's. They really are amazing, they just happened to break twice. :) But it's all good, Apple saved the day... twice. :D

Daniel.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
BurtonCCC said:

Daniel.

i've been having nothing but trouble with mine. I have to push them back in every 2 minutes or they'll fall out. I've tried all the different sized cups, but nothing will make those damn things stay in.

regular earbuds (the old ones anyway) on the other hand fit perfectly. If only mine didn't break. :rolleyes:

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
BurtonCCC said:
It makes them sound like crap, but third pair replaced.

First pair bought almost two years ago. Right speaker quit working after about 10 months. Took back to Apple with original receipt and box. Replaced in five minutes. About two weeks ago, speaker adhesive (crazy red glue) apparently had worn away and speaker came away from the enclosure. Took to Apple. Another ten minutes in the store (would have been five minutes if the 24" iMac hadn't made me soil myself) and I had my new set of In-Ear's. They really are amazing, they just happened to break twice. :) But it's all good, Apple saved the day... twice. :D

Daniel.

All right, phew, I thought you had purchased three separate pairs of earphones. That is what I like about Apple earphones, you can get free replacements, and it's quick. I've not had such great service with other earphones. I just filled out a replacement form online and they sent me a brand new pair, and asked me to send the old ones back. If you don't send 'em back they charge you, fair enough though.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I use the Griffin EarThumps. Available in white and black. Best £13 I've spent in a long time. The original Apple headphones are crap!

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
The new earphones are a big improvement over the old pack ins. I never used those but am really liking the new ones, funnily enough.

PharmD

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2005
Oregon Coast
I must have odd shaped ears because I hated the in-ear phones. They kept slipping out with any of the sizes and running with them was an absolute joke.

wimic

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
calgary, alberta
sockeatingdryer said:
Do the new ones fit the Griffin EarJams?

I just bought a 5G, 60gigger and i bought the griffin earjams. not sure if the 5G have the "new" earphones because they seem to be the same as the earphones i got with my 4G... or perhaps i'm just not observant enough... who knows.

in any case, the earjams are great. they add a lot of bass to the music, which is something i found kind of disappointing with the apple earphones.

i'd recommend them for sure.

mdickson

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2006
Baton Rouge, La.
PharmD said:
I must have odd shaped ears because I hated the in-ear phones. They kept slipping out with any of the sizes and running with them was an absolute joke.

You didn't have them in far enough. When I put mine in I use one hand to lift up the top of my ear to straighten out the ear canal and use the other to insert the bud and form suction. Works great.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
The new ones are much more comfortable. I can not really tell a difference in sound quality though.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
I like the new headphones in comparrison to the old ones because it's louder. However, they do fall out alot easier than the old ones, especially when I go do treadmills and stuff (bouncing up and down will do the trick..) and probably is not advised. But I don't want to shell out cash for any more headphones (not a fan favorite of in-ear options after Apple's in-ear crap).

IMO, the Apple in-ear headphones are pieces of crap. They're now just as bass heavy as the new standard headphones so the only advantage with em is that they go directly in your ear so you can crank it on a lower DB level. The in-ear inlays they provide are pieces of crap as they don't even give you any comfort. They keep falling out worse than the new stock headphones.

My thing is, if you're a casual listener that doesn't move up and down often, just to get some over-the-ear headphones, like Sony's stuff. The quality is VERY good and you usually don't have to worry about whether or not the headphones'll fall out. I'd shell out more money on the "pro" stuff than in-ear options. Of course, if you feel that you want to sneak em in work/school, just deal with in-ear or the stock ones Apple provides.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone in their right mind would want to purchase Apple's stock headphones, new or old. They're not worth any amount of money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.