Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macfanatic867

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
US
I have an iMac G5 1.9ghz, the last revision before the intel transition, and it will not boot up. I press the power button and I hear the start up sound and I see the light on the front turn on. however I don't hear any hard drive thrashing or anything. After about 2 minutes the Fans come on FULL bore, which I've never heard at all before. They've never come on that loud. Also last week when reading CDs the optical drive had begun to make a loud Whurring noise, like the cd wasn't spinning properly. Not like it matters, but I don't have any 3rd party RAM in it and it's still on warranty.

What should I do before I bring it in? I can't back it up. Can I expect the Hard drive to be erased? Should I demand that the CD drive is fixed too?

This really sucks as my new refurb Macbook Pro 17in that I just bought because my windows machine at work died does not have a working Airport Card. When I walk more than 10 feet from the Airport Extreme BS it loses all internet connection, but not the network at all. Go figure, I'm bringing it in tomorrow but it's just so bizarre.

Any thoughts for either machine?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
What should I do before I bring it in? I can't back it up. Can I expect the Hard drive to be erased? Should I demand that the CD drive is fixed too?
You can't even get Target Disk Mode?

Macfanatic867

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
US
No I really forgot to try, that's a great idea. I have a Macbook Pro (faulty airport aside) and a back up harddrive.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Macfanatic867 said:
I press the power button and I hear the start up sound and I see the light on the front turn on. however I don't hear any hard drive thrashing or anything.

sounds like your HD isn't getting power, which either means a bad lead or a dead HD :(

I'm wondering if you got one of the bad logic boards. link
It's supposed to only be a problem with first generation iMac G5's, but you never know.

EDIT: though I guess if you could get Target Mode to work, you could probably assume that the logic board is OK

Macfanatic867

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
US
Nope Nothing worked. Brought it in today and they said that the Logic Board was fried somehow. The part is on order and they said that they probably won't wipe the harddrive which would be great. I'm very glad it's not the harddrive. So here's to hoping. Thanks for the ideas! Nice call beatsme on the bad logic board btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.