Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
I'm finally getting a new iPod for christmas and I need a way to connect it to the car. I have seen alot of the Harman Kardon units on tv and I was just wondering if this a good system for someone who wants to take the iPod in and out of the car?

Gigitt

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
I'm finally getting a new iPod for christmas and I need a way to connect it to the car. I have seen alot of the Harman Kardon units on tv and I was just wondering if this a good system for someone who wants to take the iPod in and out of the car?

You can Make the D+P "portable" but is a PITA.
All the cabling, having to remount the display and controller on every move... as you only get one set of attachment bases.

I would say that the D+P is Universal Fitment for In-Car iPod use... when you change cars... you can take the D+P with you - not like others fixed installations that are specific for car models/head units.

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
Well I just want something where I can put the iPod into something and then pick the song on the iPod and it will play through the car stereo. I don't need anything fancy just something that will make it sound good and at the end of the day I can take the iPod inside and listen to it.

poopyhead

macrumors 6502a
I just use a cassett adapter for my car. it sounds pretty good and is cheaper and better than a RF modulator and allows me to alternatively hook in my xm radio. If it's a newer car you might want to check
HTML:
crutchfield.com
there is a good chance your car might have some sort of ipod/mp3 compatability built in.

sorry I guess i posted the link incorrectly but you get the idea

falcon1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Georgia
The cd player is ipod ready but how do I connect it to that and be able to controller the songs from the ipod?

kinvoda

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2006
you can buy a chord that goes into the back of the deck, but if you want to be able to plug in multiple sources (XM radio, iPod etc) the way to go is to get a nice alpine 9847 or 9857 since they have aux input abilities, and you can run the input cord to the spot of your choice. sounds great (No FM modulator BS, or crappy sounding cassette adapter) and looks clean as well. Not to mention that alpine's decks have a very classic design and feel to them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.