Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caffeinelegacy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
Hello everyone, only my second post here, and just after a few personal opinions. I have been told this is a broken (or breaking, as its still usable) LCD, but before I reach deep, DEEP inside my pockets to get a new screen, I thought I'd drop by and see what you guys think. I get this whilst adjusting the angle of the screen. :( is it truely dying slowly?

Heres a link to a short video of problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skfAR3pdwUY

I also noticed that it doesn't pick it up if I take a screenshot, does this mean anything?

Any constructive opinions greatly appreciated :)

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
It might just be the connector where the display cable connects to the logic board (or the display). Second worse is the cable is bad. Otherwise it would be electronics either on logic board or actually in the display. Judging by the fact it reacts with flexing, I'd bet it's the cable - either loose, or bad.

The only easy place to check the cable connector is on the logic board. It would require removing the top cover. iFixit has some take-aparts to help with that. Just requires a good #0 Phillips and #8 Torx, and patience with tiny screws... ;)

The other end of the cable is inside the display. I haven't disassembled an aluminum Powerbook's, so I don't have a good feel for what that entails.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
My neice had the white spot problem, so I got the opportunity to see it in person. It's a different problem. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to show it to someone at Apple store anyway.

caffeinelegacy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
never hurts to try

My neice had the white spot problem, so I got the opportunity to see it in person. It's a different problem. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to show it to someone at Apple store anyway.

It's true, It wouldn't hurt! Unfortunately my laptop doesn't fall under those serial numbers, it's one of the later 1.67GHz models. hmmm, well I suppose I could take the top off and give a quick look, should probably take it to the apple store if I can't see anything myself. Damn I wish I'd bought apple care. :)
Cheers for the kind replies anyway guys :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.