Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
OK ... Strange problem.

Sometimes, when my PowerBook (15", bought new in Aug 2004) wakes from sleep, the harddrive makes a dreaded tapping/clicking sound. It's very prominent and is not your standard HDD "chatter."

Often, Finder will hang and I'm forced to power-cycle the machine. Most of the time, it boots without incident.

Lately, however, there have been incidents. :(

Tonight, when I got home, it froze. I tried to power-cycle it, but got nothing. I plugged it in. Still, nothing. Ugh.

I wait for a while (it was cool to the touch from sitting in a ~50-degree car during the day) and try again. This time, i get a low-tone "beeeeeeeep", the sleep indicator flashed rapidy (five times, i think), it sat quietly for a second, then did the normal "bong". After that, it seemed to boot up normally.

I've tried resetting the PMU but no the PRAM. I'm updating my backup drive now with a full backup, then shutting down and resetting the PRAM. If it doen't improve 100% with that, it's going to a local Apple shop in the morning.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I'd like to be able to talk to the guy at Mac Resource and give him some idea of what to expect when he starts troubleshooting this thing. I don't want to just drop it off and say, "It's broke. Fix it."

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.