Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chacala_Nayarit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Lakewood, Washington
The computer clicks, like: click, click, click...hard drive make normal sound, and than works fine.

Well, I choose to hold the power button down to force shutdown, and now the power button is now responsive. :(

In the past couple days, it has took like fifteen minutes to boot. That includes the Grey screen, going to a blue screen and nothing happening. So I force shutdown and reboot, then it goes to login screen and when I click my name, the beachball spins and nothing happens. So I reboot again, it goes directly to my desktop, the beachball spins, and the system starts up. :mad:

I have an iBook G3 600MHz, 384MB SDRAM, 40GB hard drive (SMART verified, disk premissions fine) and 8GB left. Do I have too many files on my computer? Does the hard drive need defraging? Am I screwed? :confused: :eek:

Chacala_Nayarit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Lakewood, Washington
Update, it booted up. I am waiting to see what happens....going to desktop, beach ball spinning, no clicks, OS-X has booted! :)

Oh, I wish I had the money for a new computer! 470.00 per month in unemployment does not afford even a refurb. :rolleyes:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, so it's working normally now? If I were you, I'd verify the drive in Disk Utility. If you're running pre-Tiger, then just go straight to fsck, just to make sure the file system's okay. :)

Chacala_Nayarit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Lakewood, Washington
Okay, so it's working normally now? If I were you, I'd verify the drive in Disk Utility. If you're running pre-Tiger, then just go straight to fsck, just to make sure the file system's okay. :)

Thank you. No, it's beyond okay, it sucks. I thought about putting twenty dollars a week in savings, and eventually I will have enough for an Intel Mac.

I did the command + S at start up and ran /sbin/fsck -fy, the return indicacted it was fine.

Not sure what the hell is going on. I rebooted from the command line and the system is at the grey screen with Apple and spinning thingy - for the past 7 minutes. Last night it took twenty-two minutes to boot, and the system frooze simply running Camino and Finder. After ten minutes of the beachball spinning, I just hard killed the system and considered selling for parts on eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.