Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
i am about to buy an 32" LCD and it has a resolution of 1366x768. i have a 12" 1.33 iBook [see sig] and the LCD has an RGB input. so with that all squared away....

i know that i can use screen spanning doctor to change resolutions [tho i never have before] but the forum over there is basically anemic. I am curious is there is any way i can make my iBook output that resolution. I really only want it for video mirroring. I'd like to dim my notebook lcd and use my 32" as my main monitor for movie and iTunes visualization purposes, not to mention i wouldn't mind playing civ3 and talking online from bed!

I'm fairly certain all of this is possible with my notebook, but i'd REALLY just like someone to say, "yeaaa wyatt. that setup will be soooo sexy!", and then give me a little tidbit about their setup lol :p :rolleyes: :cool:

thanks!

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
For a 32" LCD, it seems the resolution is very low. I am guessing that is the LCD TV (not the computer monitor). I think hacked-iBook should be able to handle that low resolution screen. Your iBook cannot do the clamshell mode; so, its 32 MB VRAM would be split in half for each monitor.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
well regardless of what size my TV is [yes it's a TV], for my iBook to output to a monitor such that it will do Screen Mirroring @ 1366x768

i don't know how i'd even go about that, but i do know that you definitely can.

if anyone knows how to, please, let me in the know.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It can handle resolutions larger than that... it can handle that many pixels. BUT... people have previously reported a lot of pain with at least some TV sets that use this resolution and getting Macs to run at that specific resolution...

Look at some of the threads that come up in this search...

Search for 1366x768 threads....

operator

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Canada
If you just mirror it, then you will look at 1024x768 on the TV. But if you use SSD (I've been using for 17 months - no troubles), you should be able to change from the standard 1024x768 res. It will give you a dialog box on each moniter/screen allowing you to change each independently.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
wow thanks to everyone... granted i have 1 month til i get to really try this out, i can't wait to try it....

i'd really just like to be able to turn my lcd on the ibook off, and use solely the big monitor [for somethings] without having to do screen spanning. this way i don't have to deal with the mouse moving off of the screen. that's sort of a pain in the ass. ohhhh well, i get to try all this out once i break in my new tv with my wiiiiiiiii!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.