Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
From SpyMac:

iTools Pro: Apple may announce the immediate change of iTools into a pay-only service.

What does this mean???? Hope it's only another worthless spymac rumor...

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Could be..

Could be just garbage, but I wouldn't be surprised. Times are tough, and Apple has been giving away iTools for free for years now. Anyway, I think the whole article -- if true -- said that Apple may have a free iTools and an advanced one. This is the only path I could see them taking as itools is such a big part of the OS now.

Anyway, hmm.. My guess on the probability of this coming true: 40%.

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Why would it be so bad? I would pay for more features/options... Maybe (if they did this) they would leave iTools as it is and simply give the users who want/need more stuff the option. Options are always good..

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
it wouldn't surpise me much

it seems that most websites or companies that start off with a free service end up charging for it at some point.....usually once it becomes big.....it's just a circumstance of growth...

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Free and Pro

I hope BeerDrinker29 is right. Maybe we'll get an Pro version with more options than the free version (the one we have now). Apple could make big bucks of iTools if they charged users for it, but then Apple would become more like M$. Incorperate a technology into their apps (iPhoto anyone...), and then, after a while, charge users for the technology.... Apple, as we know it and love it today, would probably never do anything like this, but we can never know for certain....

Free and Pro iTools: 70% chance
Pay-only iTools service: 10% chance

Joel

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2002
California
Faster Coonection? Security?

Maybe a faster connection to their servers because they are slow now. When iTools came out, the iDisks used to load fast, but now they are slow!

Also, I wish Apple did something like safeweb.com used to do, so we wouldn't see anymore popup banners and stuff like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.