Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
hello all,
My final programming exam is tomorrow. And i am practiciing at this moment. Just a quick question, how do write the code to figure out if a number is even or not even. I have it theoretically as finding the mode 2 of the number and test to see if it is zero. but the mod function doesn't work on my xcode compiler. I tried using the % command (a%b) but that doesn't work either.

PS. I am programmnig in C.

thanks

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
hello all,
My final programming exam is tomorrow. And i am practiciing at this moment. Just a quick question, how do write the code to figure out if a number is even or not even. I have it theoretically as finding the mode 2 of the number and test to see if it is zero. but the mod function doesn't work on my xcode compiler. I tried using the % command (a%b) but that doesn't work either.

thanks

Code:
if(number%2==0)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
You need to add

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

in XCode for modulus to work ;).

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
hello all,

thanks

The word is modulo (or modulus)...its actually an operator (not a command).

Anyway, in C the modulo operator is '%', so (a%b) evaluates to r, where r is the remainder after performing integer division of a by b.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
I personally find Xcode horrible for writing in C. I just use a text editor in the terminal and the GCC program to compile. Works like a charm :)

Still, I don't think you need to add a
Code:
#include <stdlib.h>
line for it to work in Xcode. I just tested the following code under a C Tool project in Xcode, and it ran perfectly:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
	int a;
	int b;
	int c;

b = 2;

printf("Please enter the number to check:  ");
	scanf("%d", &a);

c = a % b;

if (c == 0)
	{	
		printf("%d is even.\n", a);
	}	
	else
	{	
		printf("%d is odd.\n", a);
	}	

return(0);
}

But, whatever works, eh?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Even if you didn't know about the % operator, you could test parity (even/odd-ness) using integer arithmetic.

If i is an integer, this test would do it:
Code:
int j = ( i >= 0 ? i : -i ) ;
if ( j/2 == (j+1)/2 )
    printf("%d is even\n",i) ;
else
    printf("%d is odd\n",i) ;
In integer arithmetic, 0/2 and 1/2 are 0, 2/2 and 3/2 are 1, 4/2 and 5/2 are 2, and so on.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My example didn't work for negative integers, so I edited the post above to fix it. I don't win any points for bug-free programming today.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
why not?

if (number&0x1 == 1)
printf("number is odd/n");
else
printf("number is even/n");
<pedant>
== has precedence over &, so you're actually just saying if (number&(1==1)) ... which happens to give the right answer because true (1==1) is usually set to 1, maybe it's even defined to be 1 in C, but I don't know for sure.

if (number&1) is sufficient, but if ((number&0x1) == 1) is probably more readable while also doing what you think it does.

</pedant>

Sorry, Quboid, for digressing.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Still, I don't think you need to add a
Code:
#include <stdlib.h>
line for it to work in Xcode.

You're probably right, I was doing it in Cocoa, and don't want to check in the program itself which C libraries are required, as having either seemed to be OK to the compilier.

Quboid

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
everywhere
Thanks a million guys, i had the exam today and got exempted......i ahve a prject to finish though. Looking for some help.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Come on guys, we can still take it up a notch :)

Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
    char *even_odd_index[] = { "even\n", "odd\n" };
    char *even_odd_offset = "even\n\0\0\0odd\n";
    int val = 5;
    printf( even_odd_index[val & 0x01] );
    printf( &even_odd_offset[(val & 0x01)<<3] );
}

MrFrankly

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
I couldn't help but create my own little 1-line-app version of odd and even - nothing new which hasn't be posted yet, just wrapped into a runnable program.

Code:
#include "stdio.h"
int main (int argc, char ** argv) {
	return printf("the number %s is %s", argv[1], atoi(argv[1]) & 1 ? "odd" : "even") < 0;
}

Nutter

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
London, England
No, because, the YES, NO thing is only for Objective-C, not real C.

I stand corrected. It just seems inelegant to me to have to make the assumption that logical truth == 1, as safe as that assumption may be.

gekko513 said:
And more importantly if ((number&0x2) == YES) wouldn't work for if ((number&0x2) == 0x2) or just if (number&2).

Oh yeah. I forgot that we weren't actually testing a Boolean result. My point is rendered rather pointless in this case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.