Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristiano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
I used to have an old iBook G4 whose hard drive conked out on me a few months ago. I sent it to Apple and go a new hard drive installed. This model of the iBook does not have the wireless built in but I got a free Airport card during the purchase and its put in.

Now, I've installed Panther on it but a problem I've noticed is that I simply can't detect any wireless networks. I can turn on and off the wireless in my menu bar but whenever I search for networks, it detects nothing. This is all the time of course, next to my iMac and Powerbook which have no problems detecting the network.

Anybody have any remedies?

I've tried re-installing the OS even, same problems.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Did the airport card use to work and has now stopped? Often with those add on cards, the aerial is not connected properly, and it won't then work. Open it up and take a look, see if it's not connected/come loose.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Did the airport card use to work and has now stopped? Often with those add on cards, the aerial is not connected properly, and it won't then work. Open it up and take a look, see if it's not connected/come loose.

Yes -- there are two things essentially that have to be connected -- the card has to connect to the PC-card sort of slot, but then it must also connect properly to the antenna assembly. If you remove the keyboard and access the AE card, you should see an antenna attachment...just make sure it's firmly in.

If this doesn't work, the other possibility is that part of the antenna assembly (the antenna cable passes through the hinge and then the antennae themselves are behind the screen) was damaged / dislocated when Apple opened the computer to put the HD in. If this is the case you will probably need a professional to fix this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.