Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
my work gave me a copy of Adobe CS2 because i was in the marketing department. i am getting rid of my pb and want to install the cs2 on my mbp - but i cant find the dang cds. can anyone help?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
You may be able to retrieve the information you need from the file
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Registration Database

Also peek a the "About Photoshop" screen on the old machine, the serial number (except for the last four digits) will be listed on the bottom left.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Ahh, I was just about to point out the about box, but yes, those pesky last four digits. :(

If you're lucky it will take less than 10000 guesses ;)

Copying over the reg database may be enough to get things working. It does work if you recover to the same machine, I'm not so sure what will happen if you move the file over to a different Mac though.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
where do i find the folder and the reg file??

Look slightly more carefully at iMeowBot's first reply.

I had a very loosely related problem that I think I just figured out. I moved PSE3 from my iBook to my iMac. It wouldn't register for me -- it kept popping up the nag box, but when I said I wanted to register online right then, it didn't do anything and just went into the program. This was fine, except the same thing would happen the next time I ran it. It turned out that for some reason it was not able to launch the website in Firefox for me in my managed account, but it could when I did it as admin.

Of course, then, after asking me to give it my Adobe user name and password, it prompted me to select a new user name and password and then refused to register because someone else (i.e. me under the previous username) already registered it. Retards. ;)

But at least, now, I don't seem to get the warning anymore.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
ok, i now have the reg file. it has a bunch of 16 digit numbers and i tried several and they all dont work. im not sure if it matters, but i might have upgraded my cs1 to cs2 with the cs2 cds. im not sure though.

and like an idiot i forgot to check the About screen so i dont know which one is the right serial #. but if i move the all the apps from my pb to my mbp and then move the reg file in the applications support folder, it should work???

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Erm... don't bother with editing the reg file or trying to get your reg number out of it. Take the whole Adobe directory that it's in, inside the Library folder, and copy it onto the other computer, overwriting the one that's there, if there is one. Then run it and see if it works.

proverbs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
well, i moved everything over to my mbp, and it didnt work. i moved all the apps over with the adobe folder from the library/application support folder. when i click on the app it would start to open up and then a message box comes up saying it was unable to open the application or something.

i guess im out of luck here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.