Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thanksohio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
I have been dealing with Apple on my 20" G5 since I bought it. First the HD went out and they refused to allow me the opportunity to recover it (at my cost). I was rudely told 'read your contract, we own it when we ship a new part to you." I called corporate and thought that was taken care of, NO!

In June, October, and just recently, my system won't shut down and will not boot up. After countless calls to techinical support (half of which i didn't understand due to language barriers) I finally call customer support at corporate again. If I plug in my I-sight (external) into the firewire socket it wipes out my external HD (which I bought after the first mishap).

They sent a technician for an 'in-house' repair to replace my logi-board. It worked worse after he replaced it. Four hours after he told me that he had to contact Apple to have them send out new Logi-board and blutooth card. My I-sight still does not work and the same thing happens to my external HD. My system is WORSE after the repair then it was before.

My question is this; Is it my Karma or have others had difficulty with the G5?

Apple is refusing to replace it. I would think the money they spend on new parts and in-house technician costs would eventually cost more than a new machine.

One thing is for sure, I WILL NEVER BUY, NOR RECOMMEND AN APPLE TO ANYONE. Maybe this is an isolated incident, but their customer service doesn't help their cause any!

Anyone have Steve Jobs personal e-mail? :)

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
I have been dealing with Apple on my 20" G5 since I bought it. First the HD went out and they refused to allow me the opportunity to recover it (at my cost). I was rudely told 'read your contract, we own it when we ship a new part to you." I called corporate and thought that was taken care of, NO!

In June, October, and just recently, my system won't shut down and will not boot up. After countless calls to techinical support (half of which i didn't understand due to language barriers) I finally call customer support at corporate again. If I plug in my I-sight (external) into the firewire socket it wipes out my external HD (which I bought after the first mishap).

They sent a technician for an 'in-house' repair to replace my logi-board. It worked worse after he replaced it. Four hours after he told me that he had to contact Apple to have them send out new Logi-board and blutooth card. My I-sight still does not work and the same thing happens to my external HD. My system is WORSE after the repair then it was before.

Apple is refusing to replace it. I would think the money they spend on new parts and in-house technician costs would eventually cost more than a new machine.

One thing is for sure, I WILL NEVER BUY, NOR RECOMMEND AN APPLE TO ANYONE. Maybe this is an isolated incident, but their customer service doesn't help their cause any!

That really sucks. Generally apple has really good support. Call them back and ask to talk to someone higher up, explain what happened and im sure theyll work something out. Im really sorry about this, I hope that apple helps you and you continue to consider there products.

By the way, i dont own a G5 but i havnt heard of them having MANY issues. There are some though...

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
Wait- what kind of computer do you have? Your post says 20" Power Mac G5, but there is no such computer; I'm not sure if you meant iMac G5 because you don't have an internal iSight, and Apple hasn't sold non-iSight iMacs in a while (even in the refurb section, to my knowledge). This post kind of comes across as one of the countless (usually fake) "OMG! MY NEW MAC WONT WERK RITE AND APPEL WONT FIX IT CUZ THEY SUXXOR!" posts that crop us here all the time, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because those posts often don't attempt decent spelling, the use of any punctuation, and/or paragraph breaks.

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005

I had a similar problem with my old powerbook. Its hd, display, keyboard, etc were all replaced and fixed at different times. I tried and dtried to get a replacement, and of course they refused. However someone told me to ask to talk to their supervisor. After going through the latter of ranks of apple support I finally made it to someone who can make executive decisions. At first she wanted to repair it, again. But what worked for getting me my replacement was my mention of my state's lemon law. Since it had been in 3 plus times for repair, it fell undeer the lemon law as a defective product, and therrefor they had to either give me a full refund, or send me a new unit. 2 days later (free 2 day DHL) I had a brand new, newer generation, better speced powerbook sitting at my doorstep. Just keep persisting through supporters and asking to talk to supervisors, but be calm and dont raise your voice, be polite. If you do this in unicen with asking for a replacement, they will usually listen. Hope it works out.
-dsm

EDIT: oh and if youre looking for steve's personal email, another member on here, appleintelrock I believe, claims to have had conversations with him, and is on a personal basis with steve himself. PM him.

MaaseyRacer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2005
San Francisco, Ca.
The on-site techs suck. However, Apple makes it very clean in its warranty that they are not responsible for your data you are. Please back it up before you send them any parts.
Next time find an authorized reseller/authorized service center to take it to. Most likely they have a drive savers acount, and can take care of the warranty repair and get the drive off for data extraction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.