Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twomiracles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Do you guys just use the to-dos in iCal or do you use a different app for to-do lists? I do have a Palm Z22 and I'd love to sync with it, but I'm not sure I love iCal, yet. Are there any other options you guys know of for syncing with a Palm? I did figure out that I can sync the iCal to the Palm to my PC with Outlook, so that's nice...but I'd really love a listmaker like this one.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Are you looking for something that's more oriented towards organizing a calendar or a to-do / task list? There are several sort of project organization programs that are supposed to be really good, but I'm not sure they sync with handhelds well.

twomiracles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Good question. Both, I'm afraid. I am thinking of long term to-do lists and then tasks and a calendar. I'm afraid I may need to use iCal for the Palm syncing of the calendar and tasks and then just use a to-do list or list manager for the other stuff I want to keep up with. I SO need some help getting organized! Any ideas are appreciated!

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
have u tried the notes app in the palm app folder or even palm desktop?-as for syncing you can sync it on a mac but be sure to download the very latest version of palm desktop if you dont have it-but get the one for the treo 650-i had an incredible hard time getting it to work and i ended up calling palm and they told me to download that version

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I use iCal's to do's which I like as I can color code differrent things according to calendars so I don't have to look at my work to do when I am at home and vice verse. However, i think iCal is lacking quite a bit as far as an organizer goes. I would like to see drag and drop to do's where I could create a smaller to do each day from my iCal to do's. I don't want to look at my long list of to do's each day. Just when I plan my day each day. I would like to be able to drag a to do item to a separate window...build my to do list...then close the to do list window on iCal until the next day. I would then like the original "to do" to grey out showing that it was moved to my daily "to do" list. Am I getting you confused yet? :confused:

Woops I almost forgot to answer your question- I use .Mac to sync my ical list to three computers and two palm's.

Anyway, I have searched many an organizer and have found none that allow the creation of a smaller daily to do list easily...which is the number one thing to being productive when using lists...make the list manageable. They say you should never view your whole list while navigating the day.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Anyway, I have searched many an organizer and have found none that allow the creation of a smaller daily to do list easily...which is the number one thing to being productive when using lists...make the list manageable. They say you should never view your whole list while navigating the day.

It's interesting... (I've barely ever used the tasks feature in Outlook, Palm, iCal, or WM5) does the Task list thing on Palm have the easy ability to set the view to be tasks due today only? It's easy to sort by due date and view only open tasks on a WM5 device, but not to suppress showing tasks outside today.

iCal has the option to only show tasks that are due within the calendar view, though (so, e.g., if you are looking at a day-level calendar focused on today, you will not see tasks not due today).

I'm curious, though, about the "smaller daily to do list" ... if you set iCal to view only today's events and today's tasks, what is the purpose of having a "sublist" / what is the harm in having those tasks embedded at the top level in a larger list of tasks that don't have due dates today?

What I've always done, not that it's right, is to just make my tasks "all day" events in the main calendar....

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
II'm curious, though, about the "smaller daily to do list" ... if you set iCal to view only today's events and today's tasks, what is the purpose of having a "sublist" / what is the harm in having those tasks embedded at the top level in a larger list of tasks that don't have due dates today?

What I've always done, not that it's right, is to just make my tasks "all day" events in the main calendar....

My calendar is way too full to load up the top with all day events and such. I tend not to put due dates on things as I find it too difficult personally to plan on doing something on a particular day- that is why I like to build a to do list each morning of the things I want to try and get done. See I have just recently (at the age of 39) been diagnosed with severe ADHD. Although I have learned how to deal with much of it to be somewhat productive, it does affect my ability to get things done so I need all the help I can get from organizers and such.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ahh, I totally get what you're saying now, yeah. I don't have ADHD at all, but I've diagnosed some people in your age range with it. It sounds like you've made great strides! You should be really proud of that!

I go through periods of doing what you described, but usually on paper. When I was in engineering, I'd often make daily to do lists on paper and also use the sheet of paper for making miscellaneous notes. Then get rid of it the next day when I made a new one. It is a good strategy. And I see what you're saying, in that, clearly, nothing on computers has ever made me want to adopt my own strategy electronically....

twomiracles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
I think that's what I'm saying...I've looked and looked for a great solution to organizing and just haven't found any one thing that is a winner hands down. There is a nice one that is still in beta, but they have a waiting list for beta users and when it comes out, I'm betting it's pretty pricey.

Scrybe

It's getting some great reviews and if you view the video, it does look pretty darn cool. But I can't seem to find a potential release date, so I think I'll keep looking. I did download and install Midnight Beep Inbox and I'm going to give it a try. I finally got that project and final behind me, though my next class is Programming II and I have some wonderful Visual Basic programs to write over the next seven weeks. Sorry, I digress.

Thanks for the info, all!

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I think that's what I'm saying...I've looked and looked for a great solution to organizing and just haven't found any one thing that is a winner hands down. There is a nice one that is still in beta, but they have a waiting list for beta users and when it comes out, I'm betting it's pretty pricey.

Scrybe
Thanks for the info, all!

That Scrybe looks really cool- if you watch the video look for the expanding view option in the monthly view. I hate using the monthly view because it is too difficult to easily view one day's worth of stuff. It is interesting because it is web based but you can work off line with all your current data and then update when back online- that is really really smart! The printing option is sort of cool for those days you forget your palm, don't want to carry it, etc.

It looks like it should be most of the way through the beta by reading this

details

that being said, is this going to be for windows browsers only? Anybody know? I have not had time to poke around Scrybe's forums for the answer yet.

twomiracles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
From the FAQ:

Will Scrybe work on a Mac?

Yes, Scrybe is supported on Mac OS X.
OfflineSync is only available for browsers which have a “ Work Offline” mode for example. IE and Firefox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.