Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnnaMonrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Hi

I have problems using my new HP LaserJet 1018 printer together with a mac mini. After looking on the net I found the printer program: foo2zjs, but since I am new in the Darwin/Unix world I had problem with the installation. I therefore wonder if there is eny one out there that can help me??

Anna

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
So what exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to get it working inside of Mac OS X? Are you trying to get it working in the unix terminal?

From looking on HP's website, the 1018 isn't compatible with OS X. You may want to try an HP Laserjet 4 or Laserjet 5 driver. Those are pretty universal drivers and may work.

AnnaMonrad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Unix problems

Yes, HP hasn't made a driver that works with Mac OS X. I have tried the two drivers you suggested but it didn't work... In addition to this I have tried other HP drivers with no success.

The program I found on the net foo2zjs (http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/), may work but my problem is that I have problems under the installation. I work in the unix terminal, but since I am new in unix it may be a simple problem.

I have no problem downloading the program and unpacking it, but then my problems starts. To compile I use the command $ make, this doesn't work terminal just replies with: command not found.

Then I have tried: $ su OR $ sudo make install
# make install
->I get the same answer: command not found.

My problem may be that I didn't type an argument for the command?
Ex) $ make XML file.

Hope you can help me, or at least make me a little smarter in the unix word? / Anna

So what exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to get it working inside of Mac OS X? Are you trying to get it working in the unix terminal?

From looking on HP's website, the 1018 isn't compatible with OS X. You may want to try an HP Laserjet 4 or Laserjet 5 driver. Those are pretty universal drivers and may work.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Honestly, its more work than its worth. If its a brand new printer I would take it back and get something thats OS X compatible. There's no guarantee's that it will work and keep working. You'll be disappointed in the long haul if you rely on this Unix thing.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Which drivers have you tried? Might want to give the HP 1022 driver a shot, using the directions found here.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Be sure to come back later and add you spam links to your post. :rolleyes:

renver

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
1022 driver DOES work. I tried it and it prints perfect. :)

This is indeed the solution!! Just Plug in the USB cable, go to the Print&Fax section, press the +, and choose the driver of the HP 1022!

i'm very glad the printer works on my Mac! :)

kostaskonstan

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
This is indeed the solution!! Just Plug in the USB cable, go to the Print&Fax section, press the +, and choose the driver of the HP 1022!

i'm very glad the printer works on my Mac! :)

Could you also please one help me in setting up a laser jet 1018 printer with a mac mini (lion OS). I have tried a couple of times in vain!
What is this Print&Fax section/where is that?

kostaskonstan

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
laserjet 1018 mac connection

I tried a couple of times with drivers for 1011 HP Laserjet to get my 1018 connected to mini-mac-lion and I can't. Has any an idea?
In my frustration, I cannot be helped by HP sites neither the after-sales people of apple!

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK

I have also been having problems with the 1022 drivers, seeing this link I downloaded the updated drivers and installed them.

I deleted the existing printer in System preferences, restarted the mac, switched on the 1022 and expected to see it back with the new driver.

However it has just re-installed it with the defective 1.4.0 driver. :(

How do I get it to use the updated driver please?

PolarAttack

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
HP Update - worked for me

I just wanted to add - the HP Printer update (link above) worked for me as well. I'm back using my HP 1018 LaserJet - :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.