Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
ever since getting my macbook, i have tried to reduce clutter on my desktop, but haven't found a button that would do this automatically for me like i would in windows that would arrange my ducks in a row. is there a button for this in mac os x or do i have to do this all manually?

thanks.

Retired
May 16, 2006
ever since getting my macbook, i have tried to reduce clutter on my desktop, but haven't found a button that would do this automatically for me like i would in windows that would arrange my ducks in a row. is there a button for this in mac os x or do i have to do this all manually?

thanks.

Right click on a blank area on your desktop...show view options...arrange icons by (name/date etc)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Cmd + J Brings up the Show View options or something to that effect.

Lets you pick how the icons are arranged.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
One of the reasons OS-X resisted the Right-Click for so long is that allows things to be hidden that should be easily visible. On Macs everything should be in a Menu and you should be able to learn a lot by looking at the Menus. The options in the View Menu (Clean Up, Arrange By..., View Options) are there to be seen. The keyboard shortcuts are listed beside them). Try Finder > Help > Mac Help and type "shortcuts" and you will learn a lot. I am not criticizing you, just trying to help you get into the Mac way of thinking.

As an alternative: don't keep everything on your desktop. Put your documents in the Documents folder, applications in Applications. Make subfolders if you need to further organize your work. Now pull everything off your Dock you don't use everyday. Drag your Application and Documents folders to the Dock. Now it is easy to see what's running, switch or quit applications and get to all your stuff (try clicking and holding on a folder to see everything inside).

Of course, some people like to keep everything on their desktop. If that is you, it is okay. I just wanted to suggest alternatives. Best wishes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.