Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OMGWTFBBQ

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
I've searched the internet...

I know this was posted awhile ago, but does anyone know the shortcut for strikethrough in OS X--OR How to make one e.g. :apple:S?

I would love to use this to quickly cross things out on my stickies, but currently have to go through the font menu... I've searched the internet, but to no avail...

nemex

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Mexico
I know this was posted awhile ago, but does anyone know the shortcut for strikethrough in OS X--OR How to make one e.g. :apple:S?

I would love to use this to quickly cross things out on my stickies, but currently have to go through the font menu... I've searched the internet, but to no avail...

try using shift-opt-k

OMGWTFBBQ

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
try using shift-opt-k

Thanks for the quick reply!

using shift-opt-k brings about the ":apple:" icon.

I'm looking for a shortcut that will cross out the text, I believe it's called "strikethrough." There are shortcuts for bold (Cmd-B) and italics (Cmd-I) but no strikethrough...

Any ideas?

nemex

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Mexico
Thanks for the quick reply!

using shift-opt-k brings about the ":apple:" icon.

I'm looking for a shortcut that will cross out the text, I believe it's called "strikethrough." There are shortcuts for bold (Cmd-B) and italics (Cmd-I) but no strikethrough...

Any ideas?

In Word you can customize shortcuts:

Hope this helps :apple:

OMGWTFBBQ

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
Thanks Nemex.

Is there anyway to do this for Stickies?

I can't figure out if I can do it via system settings/keyboard shortcuts...

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
OMGWTFBBQ said:
I can't figure out if I can do it via system settings/keyboard shortcuts...

There's not going to be an easy way to do this in any standardised Mac OS X applications due to the fact that it's not a menu item. It's embedded in the font panel, and as such there is no way to directly access it via keyboard shortcuts.

That's not to say an application (such as Scrivener, or some such) can't expose it, but most of Apple's have not done so. If it's in the menu bar in some form then you can assign a keyboard shortcut, but not otherwise.

Reactions: louis.com

Lomoco

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
Nononono

I'm very sure that is in fact something similar to the strikethrough. I've done it before, it's more of a slash, and it goes through single characters. Dangit what was it...

Whatever it is, I know it exists.

xbxspac3

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2008
Not sure if there IS a shortcut...

Well, I do know that it's possible to get a strikethrough font on TextEdit. And to get it on a sticky, I'm sure you just have to copy and paste. But before you can do that, you have to make your font crossed out. I have some pics that might explain it better.:D

After typing what you want to type in TextEdit:
>Highlight the text
>Go up to "Format"
>Click "Font"
>Click "Show Fonts"
After choosing a font:
>Click the "T" with 2 lines over it (right above "Collections" next to the "T" without 2 lines)

Once you click the arrow, it will have options for the strikethrough such as:
None, Single, Double, or Color.

Here are some pictures:
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/TehSpaceCat/strikethroughpic.png

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/TehSpaceCat/seehere.png

Sorry for the small pictures. They didn't come out too good.

As of the shortcut, I'm not sure. Sorry.
That is all the info I have.
Hope I helped.:eek:

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Well, I do know that it's possible to get a strikethrough font on TextEdit. And to get it on a sticky, I'm sure you just have to copy and paste. But before you can do that, you have to make your font crossed out. I have some pics that might explain it better.:D

After typing what you want to type in TextEdit:
>Highlight the text
>Go up to "Format"
>Click "Font"
>Click "Show Fonts"
After choosing a font:
>Click the "T" with 2 lines over it (right above "Collections" next to the "T" without 2 lines)

Once you click the arrow, it will have options for the strikethrough such as:
None, Single, Double, or Color.

Here are some pictures:
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/TehSpaceCat/strikethroughpic.png

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm230/TehSpaceCat/seehere.png

Sorry for the small pictures. They didn't come out too good.

As of the shortcut, I'm not sure. Sorry.
That is all the info I have.
Hope I helped.:eek:

Hey there, Googled to see if there were any updates to the matter. I know how to do a strikethrough on Mac, I just wanted to know if there were a shortcut for doing so. I routinely keep "to-do" lists and the like on TextEdit, and on my PC I'd go down the list and Ctrl-5 to cross off things on Word.
Going through the menus is too time consuming on OSX.

I have MS Word on my Mac, but I only use it when I have to.

MacintheTosh33

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2008
Easy Strikethrough

Hello all, there is a very simple way to make a shortcut for the 'strikethrough text' command in Leopard

1) Open System Preferences and open the Keyboard & Mouse section
2) Switch to the Keyboard Shortcuts tab
- Here you will see a list of all the keyboard shortcuts available

3) click the + button in the bottom left
4) Select "All Applications" from the drop down so that your strikethrough command will work no matter where you're using it
5) set the "Menu Title:" to "Strikethrough"
6) select the "Keyboard Shortcut:" text field and type in your desired shortcut
7) enjoy :)

mondaiguy

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
This only works if you have the Ruler showing in TextEdit, and if you create a style called Strikethrough. But it does indeed work if you do those things.

pmkenny1234

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2008
For Excel 2008

I was trying to do this for managing a TODO list in Excel 2008. I found by guessing that the shortcut is shift + command + - (minus key). It doesn't seem to work for Word or TextEdit, but for me Excel is much better for managing such a list anyway.

newyorkpaul

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
Queens, NY
Quick Strikethrough in Stickies

Here's my quick way to do Strikethrough in Stickies:

1. Highlight text
2. Cmd+T (brings up the Stickies font menu)
3. Select "single" from the strikethrough drop-down menu

Done.

NOTE (no pun intended) - You even have the options to select "none, single, double or color" in the strikethrough drop-down menu.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-21 at 5.24.38 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-21 at 5.24.38 PM.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,623
Reactions: bobbytomorow

d31ux3

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
OS X TextEdit Strikethrough shortcut

1. Open a new TextEdit document
2. Command-R to bring up rulers (if they ain't there already)
3. Select the 'Styles' drop down menu in the top left corner. It has 'Struck through' in it (I'm using TextEdit version 1.5, if you use another version this may be 'Strikethough' instead, if so, in the following instructions replace 'Struck through' with 'Strikethrough')
4. Open System Preferences, Select 'Keyboard & Mouse', then the 'Keyboard shortcuts' tab
5. Click the '+' button at the bottom
6. In the window which appears, select TextEdit from the Application drop down menu, in the 'Menu Title' area type in 'Struck through' exactly as it appears within the TextEdit 'Styles' menu. NOTE* This is the specific name of the action you wish to shortcut so get it right!
7. In 'Keyboard Shortcut' type your desired shortcut (I went for command-alt-s)
8. Quit System Prefs and TextEdit
9. Relaunch text edit and make rulers visible. Now if you select the 'Styles' drop down menu 'Struck through' will have your shortcut next to it
10. As pointed out in an earlier post, the shortcut works ONLY when rulers are visible

One more point, if you are creating a shortcut for a menu item such as TextEdit's 'Format/Fonts/Styles...' the 3 dots at the end of the word 'Styles...' need to be included in your shortcut name (point 6 in instructions above). These ARE NOT 3 full stops so instead of typing 'dot,dot,dot' place your cursor at the end of the shortcut name and (in System Prefs) go to 'Edit/Special Characters...' and either select or drag 'Horizontal Ellipsis' to the end of the shortcut name.

Reactions: fastasleep

Lomoco

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
0_o

Good grief. How old is this thread? I wonder how long the original poster has had an answer....

OMGWTFBBQ

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
3. Select the 'Styles' drop down menu in the top left corner. It has 'Struck through' in it (I'm using TextEdit version 1.5, if you use another version this may be 'Strikethough' instead, if so, in the following instructions replace 'Struck through' with 'Strikethrough')
4. Open System Preferences, Select 'Keyboard & Mouse', then the 'Keyboard shortcuts' tab
6. In the window which appears, select TextEdit from the Application drop down menu, in the 'Menu Title' area type in 'Struck through' exactly as it appears within the TextEdit 'Styles' menu. NOTE* This is the specific name of the action you wish to shortcut so get it right!
9. Relaunch text edit and make rulers visible. Now if you select the 'Styles' drop down menu 'Struck through' will have your shortcut next to it
10. As pointed out in an earlier post, the shortcut works ONLY when rulers are visible

One more point, if you are creating a shortcut for a menu item such as TextEdit's 'Format/Fonts/Styles...' the 3 dots at the end of the word 'Styles...' need to be included in your shortcut name (point 6 in instructions above). These ARE NOT 3 full stops so instead of typing 'dot,dot,dot' place your cursor at the end of the shortcut name and (in System Prefs) go to 'Edit/Special Characters...' and either select or drag 'Horizontal Ellipsis' to the end of the shortcut name.

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated.

gaudery

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2011

( : Thank you

gecks70

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
strike through

im probably too slow, and this has already been cracked, figured out, however you like to term it, but if you do a option shift 1 then type a letter, it puts a small strike through in , hope this helps.

oswiw

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
Style/Struck through

Follow the instructions above but for Menu Title input: Styles/Struck through

(and it will work without having to close and re-open)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.