Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skilz34

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Question. I have recently purchased a new car with an auxilary input. I'm assuming all I need is a 1/8" to 1/8" cable ? Do I need a mono cable or stereo cable? Are there better options? Thanks!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Question. I have recently purchased a new car with an auxilary input. I'm assuming all I need is a 1/8" to 1/8" cable ? Do I need a mono cable or stereo cable? Are there better options? Thanks!

You'll need a stereo patch cable, and that should be it. I can't say with 100% certainty as I don't know what sort of car or head unit this is (and even if I did I probably wouldn't know off hand) but 99.99% of the time all you need is a regular stereo 1/8" patch cable.

One thing you may notice is that the audio out of an iPod into a head unit is much quieter than other sources like the CD player or radio. Just turn up your cars volume and remember to turn it down if you switch it over to another source, rather than turn up your iPod - you'll save a little battery life that way. :)

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
Also, if you turn up your volume all the way on your ipod, you might get some distortion through the car speakers no matter how low your car stereo's volume is set.

Good rule of thumb is to raise it 3/4ths volume on the appliance and adjust the rest of the volume from your car stereo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.