Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mileslong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Newport Beach, CA
hi, i just bought airfoil to use in my new multi level place and i cant seem to locate any remote speakers. my itunes doesnt pick them up either. what do i have to do to set up remote speakers? i have read through the manual but i still cant figure it out.!!

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
hi, i just bought airfoil to use in my new multi level place and i cant seem to locate any remote speakers. my itunes doesnt pick them up either. what do i have to do to set up remote speakers? i have read through the manual but i still cant figure it out.!!

Do you have your Airport Express connected to your sound system and turned on the AirTunes option using the Airport Admin utility? If so, you should see the remote speakers show up in the speaker drop-down in the lower right corner of iTunes. Just select it.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I got hung up way back when on that "hifi" being connected bit. If the hifi isn't connected to the AE, iTunes won't see it.

mileslong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Newport Beach, CA
Do you have your Airport Express connected to your sound system and turned on the AirTunes option using the Airport Admin utility? If so, you should see the remote speakers show up in the speaker drop-down in the lower right corner of iTunes. Just select it.
i thought i did but will check that again now and will update. thanks everyone for the help...

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
how do you do this??
Which? You connect the mini-jack stereo out from your AP Express to line-in or aux-in on your sound system, at least that's how mine is set up. I guess you could also use a powered set of speakers. To turn on AirTunes for the AP Express, start /Applications/Utilities/AirPort Admin Utility. You should see the name and IP address of your AP Express. Select it and click on configure. A new window comes up with all the settings for your AP Exp. Click the rightmost tab (Music). Enable AirTunes and give the remote speakers a name. Click the Update button in the lower right corner. Quit the Admin utility. Start iTunes and the remote speakers should show up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.