Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
I myself do not have one of these cards but i noticed some places do not take them. Do they need a different card reader? do they need to pay a fee if they should accept them? And why would someone use such a card when its not accepted everywhere?.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I think it's because different credit card companies charge businesses different rates for using their cards. And Discover apparently charges higher rates than others...

And why might consumers continue to use cards that aren't as widely accepted? Benefits. :p But to elaborate, specific CCs might offer better rewards or incentives that appeal to different people (Discover in particular offers handy vouchers and whatnot that can be used in a variety of stores).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
discover typically charges businesses a bit more than MC/Visa/Amex because of their cash back thingy.

also i've known quite a few places that did end up taking Discover, only to have issues getting the proper credits. it wasn't worth the hassle

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
discover typically charges businesses a bit more than MC/Visa/Amex because of their cash back thingy.

It can also be a right pain in the arse trying to get Amex cards accepted here. I've had a couple of close calls, only to be saved by a wad of cash or a back up credit card.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
10 years ago I worked for a different company and was given a corporate Diner's Club card. That thing was hard to use even back then. Most hotels would take it, but rarely did restaurants accept it, as well as gas stations.

I don't even know anyone with a Diner's Club card anymore. I thought Discover was going to go belly up, but they have been enticing me with some very low interest rates lately. But I certainly don't need another credit card. I've only got a few thousand left to pay on one card and then all my cards are paid off. :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
From what I remember (this was a while ago)
Visa and MC charge merchants 3%, Discover is 4.5% and Amex is 6%. There may also be yearly fees and minimums per charge(for instance $.50 or 3% which ever is greater.)

fwiw, i don't know how true this is, but supposedly they give different merchants different rates too. probably depends on sales and usage and such. not surprising if true either.

Is it because Discovery is a big joke in the card world, and every store knows that?

well this is true as well.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
I worked at a large fast food chain, and we didn't accept Discover because they would not agree to set terms. They wanted to charge a variable percentage based of the purchase size, so my company refused to accept them.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
"Here's my Visa Card."

"Visa hasn't existed in over 400 years."

"Well, how about my MasterCard?"

"MasterCard hasn't existed in over 500 years."

"I have my Discover card."

(Pause) "Ooh, I'm sorry, we don't take Discover."

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
"Here's my Visa Card."

"Visa hasn't existed in over 400 years."

"Well, how about my MasterCard?"

"MasterCard hasn't existed in over 500 years."

"I have my Discover card."

(Pause) "Ooh, I'm sorry, we don't take Discover."

Oh how much i missed Futurama, i miss that show with all my heart, its the best show that was ever created by man (or alien). I cant wait for the movie.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Walmart threatened to open up their own bank just to make their own credit card.

Well, in some cases it seems like they have. Their shopping cards/gift cards aren't operated by another company like some stores' cards are. I know Best Buy has (or used to have) American Express backing their cards.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
10 years ago I worked for a different company and was given a corporate Diner's Club card. That thing was hard to use even back then. Most hotels would take it, but rarely did restaurants accept it, as well as gas stations.
Diners Club has formed an "alliance" with MasterCard, so it pretty much works any place MC works, which seems to be every place that VISA works.

Has anyone every seen a place that only took MasterCard or VISA, but not both?

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Has anyone every seen a place that only took MasterCard or VISA, but not both?

Nope, every store i have seen in my entire life that accepts credit cards had both Visa and Master card stickers or accepted them.

I carry with me 1 Visa card, 1 Master card and 2 Amex cards dunno why they give 2 cards. I only had 1 store that would not accept amex in my shopping history.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I only had 1 store that would not accept amex in my shopping history.

Me too. Unfortunately, that one time was at the grocery store and $95 in groceries had already been bagged. I had no other form of payment (honestly, who would think that a chain of grocery stores wouldn't take amex?) leaving me no other choice to walk out of the store.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Costco in Canada doesn't take Visa or MC, they do take Amex but only their house brand card.

Seriously, when net margins on Apple hardware are about 5%, and the Amex or Discover bank wants 4% - 5% commission, it's an easy decision for the retailer to make.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Costco in Canada doesn't take Visa or MC, they do take Amex but only their house brand card.

Seriously, when net margins on Apple hardware are about 5%, and the Amex or Discover bank wants 4% - 5% commission, it's an easy decision for the retailer to make.

CostCo in the US only takes plastic if it's Amex or a debit card.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.