Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shodson1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
Does anyone know how I can rip say the first 2 minutes of a 4 minute song in iTunes?

shodson1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
let me clarify further

The other thing you could do is simply rip the whole song, then select it in iTunes, File>Get Info>Options>Stop Time=2 minutes.

Sorry. Wrong nomeclature. I'm trying to burn the first 2 minutes of a 4 minute song from my iTunes onto a CD

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Use Garageband. Open Garageband, import the song, and then find the 2 minute mark on the song, select the place where you want to cut the song off, Cmd+T it, and delete the rest. Save the new song and import into iTunes, and there ya go :)

shodson1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
Use Garageband. Open Garageband, import the song, and then find the 2 minute mark on the song, select the place where you want to cut the song off, Cmd+T it, and delete the rest. Save the new song and import into iTunes, and there ya go :)

Hey thanks for the advise except I can't find anywhere where I would upload the song and make edits on Garageband.com. There is a spot for Bands to upload their songs and post on the website. Is that what you are referring to? I didn't see any edit functions aside from uploading and posting the song however.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Hey thanks for the advise except I can't find anywhere where I would upload the song and make edits on Garageband.com. There is a spot for Bands to upload their songs and post on the website. Is that what you are referring to? I didn't see any edit functions aside from uploading and posting the song however.

By GarageBand, he means the iLife Recording Application. On Macs only. Check your Applications folder to see if you have it. Even better, do you have a Mac?

shodson1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
By GarageBand, he means the iLife Recording Application. On Macs only. Check your Applications folder to see if you have it. Even better, do you have a Mac?

No. I am not using a Mac. I thought I woould have been able to do this in iTunes - hence my posting. Any other suggestions?

solidgoldmini

macrumors regular
The way I trim songs in iTunes is to highlight the song in question, and 'Get Info' on it. (On a Mac, that would be under the 'File' menu, not sure on PC) Under the 'Options' Tab, click the 'Start Time' and 'Stop Time' boxes, and fill in the times you want to use. For example, for the first 2 minutes, you would fill in 0:00 for the start time, and 2:00 for the stop time. Then when you hit OK, and go to the 'Advanced' menu, and 'Convert Selection to...' iTunes will convert only the part of the song you selected using the start and stop times. It will make a separate file with your selection, and you could burn that to the CD. When you're done, just make sure to Get Info on the original and uncheck the start and stop time boxes so it'll play the whole thing when you want to just listen. I use this method on a Mac, and I don't have a PC to try it, so I hope it works for you. Good luck.

shodson1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
The way I trim songs in iTunes is to highlight the song in question, and 'Get Info' on it. (On a Mac, that would be under the 'File' menu, not sure on PC) Under the 'Options' Tab, click the 'Start Time' and 'Stop Time' boxes, and fill in the times you want to use. For example, for the first 2 minutes, you would fill in 0:00 for the start time, and 2:00 for the stop time. Then when you hit OK, and go to the 'Advanced' menu, and 'Convert Selection to...' iTunes will convert only the part of the song you selected using the start and stop times. It will make a separate file with your selection, and you could burn that to the CD. When you're done, just make sure to Get Info on the original and uncheck the start and stop time boxes so it'll play the whole thing when you want to just listen. I use this method on a Mac, and I don't have a PC to try it, so I hope it works for you. Good luck.

The menu selection are all the same on the pc. Execpt when I try to Convert Selection it tells me that protected filed can not be converted into other formats. (I bought this song off of iTunes). Anyway to unprotect this file?

solidgoldmini

macrumors regular
Unfortunately, not that I know of. The long way would be to burn the whole song to CD, then reimport it from the CD which would create an unprotected file, and then use the start/stop method on that. It's a pain, but I don't know of any easy way to do it, at least in iTunes.

shodson1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
Unfortunately, not that I know of. The long way would be to burn the whole song to CD, then reimport it from the CD which would create an unprotected file, and then use the start/stop method on that. It's a pain, but I don't know of any easy way to do it, at least in iTunes.

It worked. Thanks for all your help!

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

you actually don't even need to convert the selection to mp3/aac. selecting start and stop times and burning will burn the selected portion onto the cd. no need for the extra file.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Ok, to the OP I assumed you had a Mac, so you will either have to find help elsewhere or take these fine fellows' advice :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.