Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkDTSHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Hello guys,

Got a question for new 17" MacBoiok Pro owners. Is there a problem with the battery "expanding"? I read this on a RSS feed. That a certain company ordered 5 and they all had the same problem. Is this over? An isolated incident?? :)

Also, does any one know exactly when Apple plans to release the Leopard OS? I'd rather buy the MBP after it has the Leopard OS included.

Thanks.

purdueboiler87

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2005
Clearwater, FL
The battery on my 17" MBP started to expand and warp. I brought in into the Apple store and they replaced it. They checked and my battery had not been recalled.

DarkDTSHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Apple is offering support for batteries if they go bad:
http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/
I'm using a 15in MBP and so far nothing bad!

As for Leopard, the latest ship date is sometime in October. I wouldn't wait around for that, maybe for the LED backlighting though...

Thanks for the link. But from what I read it was only with the battery for the 17" MBPs. The 15" are unaffected.

As for the LED backlight screens...shouldn't those already be available? Not that that is a priority for me. I am more concerned with getting a MBP with Leopard OS. Though I could install it later...but if I did...would installing one OS over another be okay? I've never played around with the OS X OS. Have been a PC guy to this day.

Actually I'm still considering a PC laptop but am leaning much more towards getting a MBP. I like the thought behind the OS and iLife. As well as iLife. And other Apple hardware.

Purhueboilder87,

Since replacing the battery how has it behaved? Any expanding?

I'm suprised Apple managed to get a bad batch of 17" laptop batteries.

Guess it happens.

DarkDTSHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Installing Leopard should be a breeze. When installing just do a "upgrade".
Gotta love Apple's installers!!

I guess it's much different using the Apple OS X versus a Windows OS. I never upgrade the Windows OS unless absolutely necessary. As havoc can happen if you install a new Windows OS upg over another.

I'm guessing OS X upgrades are not free? To existing OS X owners.

Thanks.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
The battery on my 17" MBP started to expand and warp. I brought in into the Apple store and they replaced it. They checked and my battery had not been recalled.

Actually, I haven't heard of any recall. I do believe that Apple is acknowledging that there is a problem and is dealing with it on an individual basis.

DarkDTSHD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Actually, I haven't heard of any recall. I do believe that Apple is acknowledging that there is a problem and is dealing with it on an individual basis.

I haven't heard about any recall either for the 17" MBP batteries. But obviously many 17" MBP owners are running into the "expanding battery" problem. I'm guessing you're one of the lucky ones? Without the problem? How long have you had yours? How has it been?

Coledog,

Not surprised. Even if I don't have any experience with any Mac OS X OSs. As I said. Once I have a PC OS installed and working I never upgrade it. Well, as of WIN 98, WIN 2000, and XP. If it ain't broke....

Just wondered about OS X installs over existing OS. So, I suppose if I get my MBP in the coming weeks I might go buy a copy of Leopard later this year and install it.

Thanks guys.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I haven't heard about any recall either for the 17" MBP batteries. But obviously many 17" MBP owners are running into the "expanding battery" problem. I'm guessing you're one of the lucky ones? Without the problem? How long have you had yours? How has it been?

I've had mine for a little more than two months now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.