Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cayley

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
Is there a way to restore a minimized app from the Dock?

For example:

- I'm running iTunes.
- I hit cmd+m to minimize it to the dock.
- I now want to restore it w/o using the mouse and clicking the doc icon.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Not that I'm aware of.

It would cause problems for apps where you might have multiple minimized windows, like Safari. You'd need a way to tell Safari which window you'd like to un-minimize.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Are you familiar with the hiding option in OS X, that exists in addition to minimizing (Cmd-H)? If you hide an app instead of sending it to the dock, when you Cmd-Tab back to it, it will unhide, in a fashion similar to that in Windows.

cayley

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
Are you familiar with the hiding option in OS X, that exists in addition to minimizing (Cmd-H)? If you hide an app instead of sending it to the dock, when you Cmd-Tab back to it, it will unhide, in a fashion similar to that in Windows.

That's neat. :)
Does exactly what I need. Thanks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Great! I guess it's not the "Mac" way, but to be honest, I hide applications more frequently (by far) than I minimize them to the dock. :eek:

Some other fun things to know are that, when you hold Cmd and press Tab, the switcher bar with all the apps comes up, as you know. What you might not know is that, while this is up (keep holding Cmd but let go of tab), you can do several things, such as...

- Moving through the applications with the arrow keys (or mouse)
- Quitting an application by selecting it and pressing Q while still holding Cmd
- Hiding an application by selecting it and pressing H.

:)

cayley

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
Great! I guess it's not the "Mac" way, but to be honest, I hide applications more frequently (by far) than I minimize them to the dock. :eek:

Some other fun things to know are that, when you hold Cmd and press Tab, the switcher bar with all the apps comes up, as you know. What you might not know is that, while this is up (keep holding Cmd but let go of tab), you can do several things, such as...

- Moving through the applications with the arrow keys (or mouse)
- Quitting an application by selecting it and pressing Q while still holding Cmd
- Hiding an application by selecting it and pressing H.

:)

Also very neat!
And here I was, always using it just to switch between apps. :)

thanks again.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Look in the Window menu for the application you're interested in. If there's a keyboard shortcut for the particular window you've minimized, that shortcut will bring back the window. Unfortunately it varies among different applications. For the main iTunes window, it's Cmd-Opt-1. In Terminal, various windows are Cmd-1, Cmd-2, etc. I use that one all the time after having minimized with Cmd-m.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.