Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
<sigh>

I never use this thing. Well, that's not true. I use it to play DVDs, and it does indeed still match my television nicely, but that's it.

I do own three games - VF5, RFOM and MLB 2K7 - but I haven't found any of them compelling enough to keep me playing.

I miss my 360 (in another state) badly. I can't think of any way, at all, that the PS3 (other than cosmetically and noise-wise) is superior to the 360.

My advice - until there are actually some exciting games for PS3, there is no reason to own one.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I can't tell if Risc is being sarcastic there. Especially going off his previous avocation for the 360 and dismissal of the Wii for it's small library of games...

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I don't play mine that much either, although I play Calling All Cars quite a bit now and watch tons of Blu-Ray movies on it. This game drought really sucks the big one....

My Wii is unplugged (no sense in wasting power and the stupid LED bugs me in the middle of the night) as I wait for Mario Galaxy.

I actually play my 360 *gasp* a lot lately. Tomb Raider was $15 new and Gears of War Co-Op is pretty fun with a buddy so the inch of dust that it had gotten since xmas is gone now! *yay*

Nothing like seeing $1000 worth of hardware sitting idle because of crappy software *sigh*

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I can't tell if Risc is being sarcastic there. Especially going off his previous avocation for the 360 and dismissal of the Wii for it's small library of games...

No I am not being sarcastic. The PS3 is my favourite console of this generation.

Oh? What games?

At the moment I'm playing a lot of Oblivion, Virtua Tennis 3, Virtua Fighter 5, Ridge Racer 7, and Resistance: Fall of Man.

I also have Motorstorm, NBA Street Homecourt, Fight Night Round 3, and Armored Core 4, but they aren't getting much love at the moment as I re-embrace my love of Oblivion (the best RPG ever imo).

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
The 360 has definitely been getting most of my attention.

The only time I've been firing up the Wii was to revisit Resident Evil ReMake, and that's a GameCube game.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I haven't played my wii at all since i got my 360. As fun as the motion controls are, XBOX live blows it away. I am just waiting for some of the big name games for the wii to come out....

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
a couple of my friends have got ps3's and now they are back to playing ps2 games.. i mean.. what's the point?

they paid £425 on release, played resistance and motorstorm for a few weeks.. and that's that.. lol!!

ps3 arrived too late in the day with not much to offer from the outset.. let's see how you fair in 6-12 months time..

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
I play PS2 games, Blu-Ray movies, and Calling All Cars.

I'm waiting for Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, and some good JRPG or another.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
All console wise, I really havent been playing much.

PS3: I've played the odd game of Oblivion lately, and watched a few BD movies.

That's all my PS3 is doing, but in fairness, my Nintendo Wii hasnt even been plugged in in what seems months. My Xbox 360 gets the occasional blast of GH2 in 5 minute stretches.

edit: Saw the new Ratchet and Clank trailer. That looks very good, so my PS3 will definetly get some attention when that comes out. Finally PS3 games starting to look up to scratch.

tim2006

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
I asked this question around launch, will the PS3 getter better in terms of some great games and increased sales? If the sales stay under 100,000, PS3 is dead in the U.S. I think with a price cut and one game PS3 will be fine. Adam Sessler had some positive things to say about PS3 at Sony gamer day. What does everyone else think, would anyone buy the PS3 over the 360?:cool:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What does everyone else think, would anyone buy the PS3 over the 360?:cool:

Plenty of people have.

The PS3 will see some great games towards Fall and stuff that pushes the machine to its limits, but...... by that time also the 360 will have a heap of ultra killer titles also - so who really knows ?

Gamers are fickle, and if anything I think this has been good for Sony because it's given them the kick up the bum they sorely needed for starting to lose contact of what 'gamers' want from a machine, and the fact that people have wisened up to marketing spin this generation.

I think in the end (4 or so years time), both the 360 and PS3 will probably have the same marketshare, and that market get's bigger and bigger every year. So despite maybe not having the lead over it's competitors - I imagine Sony will still end up selling more units than the PS2.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I think in the end (4 or so years time), both the 360 and PS3 will probably have the same marketshare, and that market get's bigger and bigger every year. So despite maybe not having the lead over it's competitors - I imagine Sony will still end up selling more units than the PS2.

Are you at all serious?

Do you really think the PS3 can outsell the PS2? The PS2 sold >>100 million units. It sold four-five times more than either competitor.

Honestly, I think it's going to be much more even this time. You agreed, as you think 360 and PS3 are going to have similar marketshare. But for the XBox 360 and PS3 to have similar sales, the PS3 will have to sell LESS than the PS2 did and the XBox 360 will have to sell MORE than the original XBox did.

Honestly, I'm predicting Wii > 360 > PS3, but with all of them being pretty close together (Wii selling the most because of Japanese love and being ridiculously low price, 360 selling a lot because of strong Western developer support and decent Japanese support, and PS3 dropping to third because of weakening 3rd party support; but still at least outselling the GameCube).

But really, unless you think the market is going to expand at far greater rates than it has been, it's extremely unlikely that ANY system this time around is going to outsell the PS2 unless that system is *way* ahead of it's competitors like the PS2 was.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think the only system that has a chance of beating the PS2 are Nintendo handhelds. the GBA is close now, I even read that it passed PS2 at one point. But it's dying now. Purely based on marketting I think the Wii has this gen, meh. same as Praxis. There's such a smaller market for Sony this time round.
On topic- I played a bit on Motorstorm and Resistance on a 32" SDTV and wasn't particularly bowled over. Nothing has appealed to me in these first few months so I'm back to playing the most played next gen game - the waiting game.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Are you at all serious?

Do you really think the PS3 can outsell the PS2? The PS2 sold >>100 million units. It sold four-five times more than either competitor.

Honestly, I think it's going to be much more even this time. You agreed, as you think 360 and PS3 are going to have similar marketshare. But for the XBox 360 and PS3 to have similar sales, the PS3 will have to sell LESS than the PS2 did and the XBox 360 will have to sell MORE than the original XBox did.

Honestly, I'm predicting Wii > 360 > PS3, but with all of them being pretty close together (Wii selling the most because of Japanese love and being ridiculously low price, 360 selling a lot because of strong Western developer support and decent Japanese support, and PS3 dropping to third because of weakening 3rd party support; but still at least outselling the GameCube).

But really, unless you think the market is going to expand at far greater rates than it has been, it's extremely unlikely that ANY system this time around is going to outsell the PS2 unless that system is *way* ahead of it's competitors like the PS2 was.

I think a lot of current buyers of the 360 have yet to be convinced by the technical superiority of the PS3. First of all, none of the ps3 software developers have come close to processing and graphics boundaries of the PS3. Technically, it is by far the most advanced console on the market. Also, once the developers are on track, it still requires (ideally) a full-HD TV, which plenty of people don't have. Until that time people will see little reason to spend $200 extra on a PS3.

The major weakness of the 360 is that its only a DVD player out of the box. This means that the PS3 has the advantage of being able to make huge games and unparalleled virtual environments that everybody with a PS3 can use.

We've already seen that the public has responded really well to the $100 price drop on the PS3, so there definitely is interest.

The Wii is a great machine but I fear that it doesn't appear to the die hard gaming public. My impression is that a lot of people are buying a Wii that didn't have any console previously. In that respect they're in a different market than the 360 and the PS3. It also makes it less surprising that its outselling both consoles.

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
in the cubicles
resistance fall of man on line is a wonderful experience , as is rainbow 6

then there's motorstorm for racing , tekken 5hd for fighters and cod3 for fps/pc games

then there's always blu ray and upscaling dvd's and the camera card input slots for leisure , oh and you can rip cd's to it and even go on line if you want

you can even upgrade the hd easily

for £400 i'd call that a bargain

can any pc do that - for that money ????

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I dont think the PlayStation3 will ever be like the sales success the PlayStation and the PlayStation2 were.

Its $600 dollars. ($500 if you pick up their 60GB model thats on clearance.)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
can any pc do that - for that money ????

Please don't try and compare the PS3 to a computer. Unless you want to look at it from another angle of the PS3 being crippled by 256mb ram. Can any self respecting computer run on that much ram? :rolleyes:

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
My first thought was it was crap and that has remained the same. Basically I figure if a company needs to limit the supply of its product to build hype, then it's not worth the hype.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.