Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
so i've had my macbook pro c2d for about 7 months now, and last month the battery capacity was at about 90%. a couple weeks ago it was at 85, today it's at 74%. I recalibrate my battery regularly, and I'm generally not hard on it I guess. It seems that my battery's life is deteriorating very quickly - does it seem that way to you?

Jan 30, 2006
so i've had my macbook pro c2d for about 7 months now, and last month the battery capacity was at about 90%. a couple weeks ago it was at 85, today it's at 74%. I recalibrate my battery regularly, and I'm generally not hard on it I guess. It seems that my battery's life is deteriorating very quickly - does it seem that way to you?

How many load cycles you have?

But it do sounds strange. Calling an Apple Store never hurts, they seem to change batteries for new ones without many problems.

Jan 30, 2006
I have 146 cycles.

Well, that's quite a lot cycles. I have 59 in 11 months, and have like 95-96%.

Try calibrating the battery and test it just after it. If it still shows 70-75% you can go to an Apple Store and maybe they would change it.

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Well, that's quite a lot cycles. I have 59 in 11 months, and have like 95-96%.

Try calibrating the battery and test it just after it. If it still shows 70-75% you can go to an Apple Store and maybe they would change it.

How do you pull that off? Do you hardly ever unplug it from the wall?

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
Unfortunately, Li-Ion cells have a rather finite life. Deeper cycles reduce life more quickly than shallow cycles. Holding at a very low or very high SOC (state of charge) reduces life more quickly than holding at a 50% SOC. Higher temperatures also reduce life. In addition to being cycle-limited, they are also age-limited. Even if you don't use them at all, Li-Ion cells slowly deteriorate.

Cycle life is determined under lab conditions, not real-world conditions. A cell rated at 400 cycles will drop to 80% capacity in the lab when cycled continuously, but will invariably last many fewer cycles in the real world.

The life you achieve also depends on reliability. You've got a bunch of cells in the battery pack, each one with a different time to failure. When the first one starts to go, the pack is toast. The failure rate is defined statistically, so it could occur almost any time.

Rob

JJazz

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
what about this???

My Macbook says it has 300 cycles is that good? or bad.. WHen I have my cord not in it usually only has 1hr and 30 mins left... a Month ago it used to be 3.5hrs or more. Help?

Thanks!!!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My Macbook says it has 300 cycles is that good? or bad.. WHen I have my cord not in it usually only has 1hr and 30 mins left... a Month ago it used to be 3.5hrs or more. Help?

Thanks!!!
Nice 4 year old thread resurrection! The number of cycles is neither good nor bad. It depends which model you have, what the battery health is, and how long you've had it. How long you can run on battery is determined by many factors. Read BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

revalationist

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
lolwhat mine goes down at about 5% per 10 minutes i assumed thats normal but your charges seem to last forever

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
im running about 1-3 processes...
There's more to it than how many processes.... and you're running a LOT more processes than that. Please read the Battery FAQ that I posted, especially the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section, so you'll understand the issue better.

Nov 28, 2010
located
im running about 1-3 processes...

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Acitivty_Monitor.png

Further reading:
______________________________________________________​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.