Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Hi,

I just upgraded my memory on my G4 Powermac 1.25 Duallie (MDD).
I'm not very technical so i went and bought a stick of:

PC 2700 / 512 mb / 333 Mhz / DDR ram (Kingston brand, Samsung chips)

I have 4 slots (don't need pairing), 2 with 256 mbps, one with 512 mbps, one free (hence my decision to fill it).

Now it froze my system. I called in Kingston memory and they said
"you have model KVR333/512R memory, it should work but we have KTA-G4333/512 especially for macs". Try going to your retailer to get a different KVR333/512R because it may be bad memory or you just may be out of luck... He said it "should" work but ... I hate the word should.

Now have any of you had this issue? My retailer (tiger direct) doesn't do returns on memory, they want me to bring in the system and the memory to test it out. Is the model of memory different? Any thoughts on your end I am not a technical person and didn't realize that after I got all the specs right that there was a special model number.

Thanks for your help.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Test boot each individual stick to find the bad one if you don't know which one it is. It could be that the last one is just bad. I'd boot that one alone and see what turns up.

The Mac memory should be the same as the non-Mac. It's just guaranteed to work.

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Last spring I upgraded my powerbook g4 with more ram... I first went to best buy and bought some ram and stuck it in there... strange things started to happen, can't remember exactly but certain things just wouldn't work, it was very strange.

So I returned the ram and got some apple certified ram from a local apple retailer (not an apple store) and it worked wonderfully.

After spending so much on apple hardware... don't cheap it out now... its just not worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.