Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I kept a record on the first two full charges until depleted (iPhone automatically turned off) of my iPhone, both wifi/bluetooth off. This is battery life of regular usage, meaning I'm not playing with the browser like when I first get the phone. I make hours long calls to friends and check weather once in a while with edge and also listened to music for 30 mins or so. I also used edge to send pictures attached posts to my blog.

--------------------------
1st full charge til depleted:

Usage: 6 hrs 50 mins
Standby: 1 day 19 hrs

2nd full charge til depleted:

Usage: 7 hrs 08 mins
Standby: 1 day 15 hrs

Now my phone showed the 15% power warning just few minutes ago and the Usage meter is at:

Usage: 7hrs 10 mins
Satndby: 1day 0 hrs

I did use a bit wifi and bluetooth today. But the top two statistics are
with wifi and bluetooth off.

Post your normal usage battery life and let us compare and see how well the battery actually stands against everyday cellphone tasks.
So far the iPhone battery is lasting long enough for my everyday usage. :)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Bad idea, deep cycling Lithium-ion batteries will shorten their life span. You should charge them every chance you get and try to NEVER run completely dead.

Gonzlobo

Suspended
May 9, 2007
Albuquerque
My numbers are going to be useless (but probably typical of our average user since few allow their unit to discharge completely).

During a typical work day (say 11 hours) I start with the phone charged, make 10 or so short calls, listen to 2 hours of mp3s, visit 5 websites a day & check my stocks 10 times :D. I'd say my battery depletes to 70%.

When I get home, I'll wi-fi a 1/2 hour of websites, check my stocks, resync to get podcasts all the while charging the unit.

It's too bad my laptop turns off juice to the phone when it sleeps, but that's kinda expected (it's a thinkpad)

swdesignr

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
New Mexico
About 9 hours

I've been getting around 9 hours before seeing the 20% or 10% warning. That's moderate to heavy web surfing, email, camera, address book and light iPod and cell usage. This doesn't include standby time -- usually I can go for a day and a half without charging.

TheBusDriver

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2005
Took it off the charger yesterday at around 10:00 am with a full charge, watched some small videos, made a couple phone calls, txt people, listened to the iPod, surfed the web, emailed people, and wifi was on at about Midnight I put it back are the charger and it had about 75% charge left on it.

AirmanPika

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Vandenberg AFB, CA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

This should help you understand things a little better. Its actually perfectly fine to let the battery die so as long as you recharge the battery immediately. The phone/battery are intelligent enough not to let the charge get TOO low but you don't want to store it at the low voltage.

Also it won't hurt to recharge the battery at any given %. There is no memory effect. A caveat to this though is recharging a battery too often can decrease its overall efficiency so its probably best to hold off till about 25%-50%. I think its mentioned though that this may not be as much as an issue in cell phone batteries as the voltages are much lower.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Almost entirely WiFi, including some YouTube video playback. BT on:

Time to shutdown:
06:25 Usage
16:39 Standby
00:35 Calls

Apple says "6 hrs Internet (WiFi)", so I'm right in the ballpark of the spec'd time. I have a less than optimal cell signal, which will increase it's power consumption.

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Bad idea, deep cycling Lithium-ion batteries will shorten their life span. You should charge them every chance you get and try to NEVER run completely dead.

It's the first 2 charges on my iPhone. On most of my electronics I usually let it fully charge and fully depleted on the first time to maximize battery life. After that I charge when I want to. Then I'll let it run down once a month or few months and fully charge up again.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I take my iPhone off the charger around 9am and use it on/off until work ends around 5pm.

Sometimes it makes it through 5pm, other times it does not.

I would say I use email/internet/text/calls for 3-4-5 hours a day for buisness and browse the net for a short while each day.

I am going to bring a charger to work next week just in case. Quite disappointed to be honest BUT I love it anyway.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
756487098_19a22ce0f2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.