Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
EFI Firmware Update 1.3

So, I don't know what came over me, I decided to install an apple patch the day it released... and now I wish I hadn't.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookproefifirmwareupdate13.html

Firmware 1.3 was released to fix video issues on the macbook pro, but I think it has caused more than it has solved! Now I have these rolling bands on my screen. It's almost like an interference pattern. They weren't there before the update!!!

WTF, you'd think someone QA's and tests these before they're published for thousands of users to install on their machines!
:mad:

jamesybsu

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
well they might have fixed one problem, but now they have something else for people to complain about :)

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
I went ahead and did it (before i saw your post) and it worked fine for me.

Don't notice any difference in the display though (cycled through various display profiles, all look pretty much the same as before).

ddma

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2004
So, it's only for 15-inch model if I am right... coz it doesn't show up in Software Update on my 17-inch MBP.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
I took the plunge, it worked fine for me. It seemed to get rid of the jitteriness/choppiness when I would expose all windows. Maybe it's just my imagination though. But certainly no problems here (except for 1 stuck red pixel, but that's another story).

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
seems like it did nothing for me, cycled through the profiles and different background. I don't know if i'm imagining this, but it seems like the back lighting is more even.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Firmware 1.3 was released to fix video issues on the macbook pro, but I think it has caused more than it has solved! Now I have these rolling bands on my screen. It's almost like an interference pattern. They weren't there before the update!!!

Yeah, me too :mad:

I have the same rolling issue. You have to look at times to see it, but otherwise its getting pretty annoying. Wow...APPLE PLEASE!

If you want to see it, put your nose at the bottom of your laptop right in front of the trackpad, and look up at the screen. It is probably pretty noticeably yellow and darker, but you'll start to see the rolling patterns.

The darker the items on the screen, the more I see it now. Not good.

jsd

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
Orange, CA
rolling bands

My 2.2 had rolling bands straight out of the box. I figure that's what this was meant to fix. However, after a couple of restarts they disappeared and haven't reappeared, so I stopped worrying about it.

jellz

macrumors regular
May 5, 2007
ah! me too! The flickering at less than 100% was gone with the last update and now after installing these 2 it's back! :mad:

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Yeah, me too :mad:

I have the same rolling issue. You have to look at times to see it, but otherwise its getting pretty annoying. Wow...APPLE PLEASE!

If you want to see it, put your nose at the bottom of your laptop right in front of the trackpad, and look up at the screen. It is probably pretty noticeably yellow and darker, but you'll start to see the rolling patterns.

The darker the items on the screen, the more I see it now. Not good.

Remove the battery, unplug it and hold the power button for 10 seconds.

========================

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304032

MacBook: Vertical lines or solid gray, white, or black screen after updating to Mac OS X 10.4.7
Symptom

After updating to Mac OS X 10.4.7, the MacBook may show a solid grey, white, or black screen or a screen with vertical multi-colored lines.

Products affected

MacBook with Mac OS X 10.4.7
Solution

To resolve the issue temporarily, you may need to reset NVRAM. Once you can use the display again, download and install Mac OS X 10.4.8. You can use the Software Update feature of System Preferences, or download the Update from Apple Software Downloads (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/).

If you have updated to Mac OS X 10.4.8 and the issue still seems to occur, you may need to reset NVRAM on your MacBook again.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
I never had any problems with my display. I had a perfectly working LCD until this update. I now have the rolling bands too.

I guess the good news is if it was created by a firmware update, it can be fixed with a firmware update. I guess we wait.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH

========================

MacBook: Vertical lines or solid gray, white, or black screen after updating to Mac OS X 10.4.7
Symptom

After updating to Mac OS X 10.4.7, the MacBook may show a solid grey, white, or black screen or a screen with vertical multi-colored lines.

Products affected

Solution

To resolve the issue temporarily, you may need to reset NVRAM. Once you can use the display again, download and install Mac OS X 10.4.8. You can use the Software Update feature of System Preferences, or download the Update from Apple Software Downloads (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/).

If you have updated to Mac OS X 10.4.8 and the issue still seems to occur, you may need to reset NVRAM on your MacBook again.

I'm not quite sure that's the same issue we're experiencing. This is much more subtle - and does not prevent you from using your display.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas

========================

Symptom

Products affected

Solution

That has nothing to do with this. This is a separate issue all together.

athavan

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
I have the 15 inch 2.4 ghz macbook pro. Never had the bars scrolling on screen till I just did this silly firmware update. They better fix this soon. Its annoying as crap.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
worked fine for me. What model displays do you guys have?

Mine is Model 9C67

Manufacturer 610

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.