Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
So I dropped my 12 inch 1.33 GHz ibook and broke the display. The screen is still usable, but it won't show certain colors and there are horizontal lines that travel from the top to the bottom. Needless to say, it gets very annoying and is an eyestrain.

Therefore, I would like to buy an external monitor and was wondering if buying a larger (like 19 inch) monitor would work, since it has only a 12 inch screen? Do I have to use the spanning hack?

Also, is there a way to turn off or disable the ibook screen when using an external monitor? Thanks much.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
So I dropped my 12 inch 1.33 GHz ibook and broke the display. The screen is still usable, but it won't show certain colors and there are horizontal lines that travel from the top to the bottom. Needless to say, it gets very annoying and is an eyestrain.

Therefore, I would like to buy an external monitor and was wondering if buying a larger (like 19 inch) monitor would work, since it has only a 12 inch screen? Do I have to use the spanning hack?

Also, is there a way to turn off or disable the ibook screen when using an external monitor? Thanks much.
Enter.........desktop mode.

Close your iBooks lid, plug in the monitor + external keyboard and mouse, click and enjoy the stationary laptop goodness. No spanning in this case.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Close your iBooks lid...
Oh yeah, forgot to add, it doesn't close anymore. The screen is so bent out of shape it won't latch. :eek:

And on more question. Will a widescreen monitor work? like one of Dells widescreen flat panels?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.