Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I decided to do a reinstall on my iBook. It had Tiger on it. So.....I did a reinstall from the Panther discs that came with it figuring it would give me my apps that came with the rig. I was 'gonna upgrade to Tiger but it is asking me for my password and, for whatever reason, when I enter my *correct* password it doesn't work. It says it is the incorrect password. Now, of course, I'm in a catch 22 cause I can't do anything without admin privileges and I have no idea what the password was changed to.

Help!

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
I decided to do a reinstall on my iBook. It had Tiger on it. So.....I did a reinstall from the Panther discs that came with it figuring it would give me my apps that came with the rig. I was 'gonna upgrade to Tiger but it is asking me for my password and, for whatever reason, when I enter my *correct* password it doesn't work. It says it is the incorrect password. Now, of course, I'm in a catch 22 cause I can't do anything without admin privileges and I have no idea what the password was changed to.

Help!

Boot from the install disk. In one of the menus in the menu bar there will be a "change password" option. You can change the password for any user on the computer there.

Cmacarson

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
catch 22

I am having the same issue, although I do not have the reset disks, is this the only way to fix the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.