Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChandlerXJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
What exactly does restoring the iPhone do? Does it erase all of your pictures and contacts? I feel like I should just restore my phone every now and again to keep it fresh... what do you think.

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
Restore basically wipes your iPhone clean, deleting just about everything, including most of it's own software. It then downloads a disk image with it's software onto the phone. I would think, for this reason, that any hacks one did will get overwritten and lost with this restored disk image.

When you sync, most everything comes back. The one thing I noticed that I lost were pictures I took on the camera that I didn't import into iPhoto. Camera pictures don't seem to be automatically sync'ed. You have to manually import them in to iPhoto. I think I had a couple of pictures I forgot to import and they were lost.

-steve

What exactly does restoring the iPhone do? Does it erase all of your pictures and contacts? I feel like I should just restore my phone every now and again to keep it fresh... what do you think.

bayansonger

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Restore iPhone from Backup

To begin to restore your iPhone data from the backup, connect your iPhone to the computer that you normally sync it to that contains the backup file, including any pictures, music, videos, and contacts.
It deletes everything from your iPhone and re-syncs it with all of your apps and music. Don't worry you won't lose anything and it might take a few minutes.
Read More at http://www.restore-iphone-backup.com/

Last edited:

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011

That would not do anything for your phone's speed. iOS doesn't bloat as you use it unlike other opperating systems.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
That would not do anything for your phone's speed. iOS doesn't bloat as you use it unlike other opperating systems.

Yes it does. Look at all the people in these forums who have to wipe their iDevices on a regular basis to fix performance issues.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
It means installing the original piece of software back on your iPhone. You have to backup prior to a restore, and after your iPhone is restored in iTunes, you can install your backup so that your phone remains the same as before and you won't lose any information.

Restoring your phone helps to get rid of certain battery problems (when your battery drains fast for no reason) or any minute glitches that shouldn't be there most of the time.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I am sure original poster probably figured it out 5 years ago with his iPhone 2G.

;)

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Yes it does. Look at all the people in these forums who have to wipe their iDevices on a regular basis to fix performance issues.

This is due to bugs it won't help the average user.

That's like taking intense cancer drugs as preventative medicine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.