Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
OK, I have an iBook G3 with a busted logic board. I sent it away for someone to weld something, and that fixed it for a few months. I do not want to pay $75 dollars to get it welded again, because I feel like at this point I could try it myself.

Does anyone know of any tutorials, or like some step by step instructions, on how to open this baby up, and where to weld? Thanks.

Edit: I heard there is an easier way to do this, wedging something into the LB and attaching it with tape or something. This would be preferable. Any ideas?

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
wooooooooooooooowwwww, that doesn't really sound easy/possible, considering how small the components are on that LB. A friend of mine fried her G4 iBook when she dropped water on it and I could only see the little capacitor that blew by using a magnifying glass. There was no way my soldering gun/skills could fix that. Good luck to you.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
wooooooooooooooowwwww, that doesn't really sound easy/possible, considering how small the components are on that LB. A friend of mine fried her G4 iBook when she dropped water on it and I could only see the little capacitor that blew by using a magnifying glass. There was no way my soldering gun/skills could fix that. Good luck to you.

As far as I know, people do it all the time. You are right that I probably won;t be able to do it, though, as I have no patience. I just don't want to pay another person $75 dollars to do it again. I would probably pay less than that, but that conversation is reserved for the marketplace if this doesn't work out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.